We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Chartered Boat for Snorkeling

Philadelphia
3 posts
Save Topic
Best Chartered Boat for Snorkeling

Does anyone have any recent experience or suggestions for 2 adults in 30’s with no children for a fun day of snorkeling at sea? My husband has been to St. John while in the Navy and has said how beautiful the snorkeling is at Trunk Bay, but I have read that it can be crowded and fish are scarce due to all the traffic. I would also like to spend the day on a chartered boat to check out some of the other many beautiful places to snorkel around the US Virgin Islands (traveling without passports so we need to stay in US Islands) Thanks for opinions in advance.

Parkton Md
Level Contributor
120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Chartered Boat for Snorkeling

We just finished (June 22) a day sail with Jason aboard the Survivan and would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a relaxed day sail. Jason will pick you up right at the beach at the Westin Resort, which is really convenient for parking. The boat is spotless and really sails nice. We had some nice wind and were moving out at about 8 knots in some nice swells (Fun). Jason will book six on the boat, but we were lucky and it was just my wife, son, and myself for the day. Jason makes it feel like your out sailing with a friend and really takes care of everything. I would stay away from the catamaran trips if you are looking for a more personnel type of trip. Jason also tailored the snorkel stops for us, and made one hell of a lunch.

stjohnyachtcharters.com/…20pictures.htm

[IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/giddswat/StJohnVacation2011365.jpg[/IMG]

Edited: 03 July 2011, 16:33
Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
909 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Chartered Boat for Snorkeling

If you need to stay in US waters , i would lso suggest a sailing charter- captain Phil Chalker of the wayward sailor would be an excellent choice--he knows some great spots and REALLY knows his marine life--he gets in the water with you and shows you things you probably would have completely missed--

also long distance (out of coral bay--i think only durig high season) is another excellent option--

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Chartered Boat for Snorkeling

All three of the recommended boats do an excellent job - Capt. Phil particularly for marine info in my experience - they are all sailboats -- but there is also a USVI only snorkeling vessel -- lovangocharters.com that does a power boat snorkel STJ trip to some seldom visited underwater sites - [it might be more snorkeling time than you want, on the sailboats the sailing time is a big part of the enjoyment] - but it is a great option.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Chartered Boat for Snorkeling

Local sailor, thanks for the info re lovango charters. However, they seem to emphasize the "circumnavigate St. John" factor whereas we (and another couple) want to snorkel more than take a loooooong boat ride and "view" the different bays around the island. Do you know of another motor boat that caters to snorkelers (or a dive boat that goes to good sites for snorkelers as well as divers)? We will be going to the walk-in sites (which is one of the reasons we chose St. John after all) but would be interested in a boat that took us to some spectacular sites that you can't get to from shore (but not necessarily going all around the island!)

Thanks--we can't wait until Dec.!

New Hammpshire
Level Contributor
413 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Chartered Boat for Snorkeling

Maybe Fernando's Republic, out of Coral Bay.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Chartered Boat for Snorkeling

Try High Pockets or Independence. They're both great. They're out of St Thomas, but since they'd be coming over to St John anyway for the day sail, maybe you could make arrangements to meet them on St John so you don't have to go to St Thomas.

Philadelphia
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Chartered Boat for Snorkeling

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It seems that there are trips that cater to all desires, so I’m glad I asked. Sail snorkel seems to be the one for us as I want a little of both. However, a hell of a lunch or excellent marine life knowledge is still a decision to be made of on the sailboats suggested. I think that the power boat snorkel will also be a good choice for a day of high energy. We might do both!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Chartered Boat for Snorkeling

High Pockets and Independence both serve a great lunch and some great drinks. If memory serves me, they both had an amazing rum cake for dessert. I believe that both are highly rated on TA of you'd like to search for reviews.

I don't enjoy daysails at all, boats aren't my thing (after about 30 minutes Im ready to get off) but I do have good

memories of both if that tells you anything.

Philadelphia
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Chartered Boat for Snorkeling

Thanks wishiwasinthevi-I'll check them out :)

Oak Park, Illinois
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Chartered Boat for Snorkeling

We went on the Pepper for a sail and snorkeling. Capt Fred and Renee we great, they pointed out the things we needed to see and then served a considerable home made spread for lunch.

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Islands...