We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

new england
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Topic
One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

Any words of wisdom re. the iffy forecast for much of next week? It looks like possible/probable rain for most of my trip--I know that St. John's been getting more rain than is normal.

Would you still allow yourself to fantasize about sunny beach time , or would you be resigned to a lot of bridge and Bananagrams?

Sincerely,

"Tragic"

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

Pack your sunscreen

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

We had great weather for five days, and everyday the forecast was for 30% chance of rain. Had some quick showers, then rainbows...sweet.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

You can still snorkel in the rain if there is no lightning. Did it everyday on our trip last year. Hoping for better weather this year! 24 days and counting!!!!

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

I am going next Friday and saw the forecast for lots of rain into the following week and too am concerned. But the forecast will change as we get closer. You can not reply on it. Still, I have been rained on hard and steady every day one week , have had a week where I experienced intermittent rain, and mainly have had sunny days. It is a mistake to look at a forecast that changes and is not accurate maybe until the last minute. I should not have looked at it either, but hey, most of us look forward to that one week per year and do not want our vacation ruined by rain. I have snorkeled in the rain and its not much fun. So your not a whiner, just a normal person who wants to have a sunny outdoors vacation and has spent a lot to get it.. You can drink and play cards at home.

Sincerely,

" Also Tragic"

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

You guys actually made me look at the forecast :) Something I rarely do unless we are in hurricane season. Our 'normal' day on St. John would have a 30% chance of rain. Which usually means we don't get any, or if we do get any, it's not enough to do more than put a few drops of water on the ground that will dry in 10 minutes. I do see the 10 day forecast has a couple of 50-60% chances...which means we will probably get some rain, but 10 days out, I wouldn't count on that. My suggestion is to stop looking at the forecast, start looking at the St. John Spice webcam. It will get you in a better vacation mood :)

new england
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

I'll be looking at that darned cam.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

I am going to offer a completely different opinion, given the title of this thread.

A definite yes to the bridge and Bananagrams (I have no idea what the latter are but presume they're something one does or has inside). Forget the sunscreen and instead pack your bags with heavy rain gear, Wellington boots and at least two umbrellas. You will not see one sliver of sunshine for the duration of your visit as next week heralds the annual occurrence of "USVI Grunge Week" when a mammoth belt of rain sits over the territory for precisely seven days before moving away. No worries, though. Cruzan rum is absolutely delicious and the local spas will be offering reduced prices on tanning booth sessions.

Fishers
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

STT...LOL...that was the best response ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

I have to admit, I'm a little worried about the forecast, too, despite advice to ignore it. We leave on Sunday. Fingers crossed! :)

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

If I lived in the tropics most of the year or were lucky enough to have a winter home there, then my attitude about the weather would be very casual. However, most people can only go for a week at a time so for them having good weather is of up most importance. Most of us look very forward to that week and go to St John to be outside in the sun. But even though I do it, looking at the weather forecast is fruitless as it changes quickly and there is nothing you can do about it anyway.

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Islands...