We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Maple Shade, New...
10 posts
Save Topic
camping at maho base camp

my wife and two boys are going to maho base camp for somthing other than allinclusive mexico im looking for some good info,what to bring,not to bring,good places to eat,we are going to camp to save money to island hop,tortola,virgin gorda.we are going jan 26 to dec 2

Boston
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping at maho base camp

Maho Bay camps are a very popular destination so cruise this TA site and you will find many, many posts about staying there. We've stayed there with and without our kids over the years. The bathrooms are shared, there is no air conditioning, and its very hot so be prepared to share the bathrooms, the cold water showers, bring a ton of bug spray and learn to not be in your cabin tent during the middle of the day. They supply the basics such as sheets and blankets for the beds, pots and pans ,etc. But this is camping, just cleaner than a tent on the ground. The restaurant serves great food but you can pack down your own if you want and they supply a cooler and a two burner stove. Be very careful about any food you bring as it is really hot during the day and some foods do not hold up to the heat. You must keep your unit very, very clean or there will be tons of bugs. If you keep it clean, you should be fine except for the no-seeums that live in the sand and come out at night and at dawn for a while.

The views are fabulous, the beach is great and that's the other thing- if you aren't in shape when you get there, you will be by the time you leave- there are hundreds of steps down to and back up from the beach as the entire facility is built into the hillside, no flat land at all. Walk slow, carry alot of water, and you should be fine until you get used to the stairs.

We don't stay there anymore as I got sick of shared baths, wanted hot water once in a while and despite the foliage, was too well aware of our neighbors in terms of noise, especially at night and early morning. But I do miss the views, the food, the opportunities to learn about some environmental topics, and the easy access via shuttle back and forth to Cruz Bay. They also arrange some easy day tour opps that are pretty decent.

It IS camping but if you've been before, you will be OK. If you are used to high end luxuries, this will be a real challenge for you!

The entire island is small- again, check this site thoroughly for recommendations for restaurants, snorkling, beaches, and hanging out at Cruz Bay. This is a wonderful and very popular island so you won't lack information from this site as well as going to Maho Bays website also. Take the time to do the reading and you will be very well informed. Overal, pack bug spray, sun screen, sun hats, sandles, shorts, t shirts, bathing suits and water bottles. Everthing else might be pretty optional as its very, very laid back!

pa
Level Contributor
617 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: camping at maho base camp

i've stayed at the campground and harmony suites. i loved both. the eco tents are "no-frills," and the suites are an "upgrade." i really don't have a bad thing to say about either accommodation. you won't go wrong staying at one of them. both are, however, a far cry from an a-i, but i wouldn't have it any other way!

pa
Level Contributor
617 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camping at maho base camp

forgot to mention - bring plenty of bug spray and comfortable hiking shoes, get the "walkin' legs" ready, and bring passports if taking a day trip to the bvi's. your kids will love all st. john has to offer.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: camping at maho base camp

make sure you don't sell your kids on a resort vacation but a camping adventure and they will love it.

I would highly recommend that you rent a car and really explore the island and don't spend too much time island hopping, you will miss all the great things about STJ.

I highly recommend picking up a copy of Feet, Fins, and 4WD. It is a great resource for things to do on island

Don't forget items:

1. bug spray

2. passports

3. snacks for the kids (granola bars, etc)

4. Sunscreen

New Hammpshire
Level Contributor
414 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: camping at maho base camp

Flashlights are a must. Some people bring Christmas lights to decorate the tent line. I think a hanging solar shower is a must; fill it w/water and hang it in the sunlight while you're gone all day. Now you have hot water to rinse off the sand and salt, and you don't have to walk to a bath house for a cold awakening.

Maple Shade, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: camping at maho base camp

thank you,we are pretty experienced campers from jersey but camping in the caribbian is a differant animal

Boston
Level Contributor
6,577 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: camping at maho base camp

Actually, if you take a shower at around 4ish they are not so cold. The thing you really need is bugspray and I would bring some mosquito coils. Be very diligent about not bringing sand into your tent cabin as the no see ums will come in with the sand.

Its a fun place. I went there once for a week and never went off site.

Boston
Level Contributor
94 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: camping at maho base camp

Once again I have to THANK everyone for keeping this forum alive. I am heading to Maho with my two kiddos during Thanksgiving and reading others post and notes makes me smile!

Thanks!

Mt.Laurel,NJ
Level Contributor
842 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: camping at maho base camp

Another quick recommendation aside from what's been mentioned; "Afterbite Anti Itch Bug Sticks".

For some unknown reason I'm not bothered by critters, but my fiancee gets eaten alive.

Seems to help her out a bit...

Have fun!

Smiles-

MJ

Maple Shade, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: camping at maho base camp

jim,you want talk about small world barb and i met you at chic and petes last week.mark goes out with my sister inlaw

Get answers to your questions about Maho Bay