We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Update

Omaha
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restaurant Update

We will be arriving at Caneel 4/4 after a cold winter here!

I heard that Fish Trap is closing, so I thought I would get a list of places to go. Our favorites have been Lime Inn for the all you can eat shrimp on Wednesday and we have been to Morgan's Mango as well.

We would like to try some new places (casual attire only) and would like some recommendations.

Also, how long does it get to Coral Bay by taxi from Caneel if we try a couple of places there?

Thanks

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Update

If you are going to go to coral bay rent a car for a day or two,the price for the cab is at least $10-15.00 per person each way and cabs do not like to go out to coral bay.It is about a 30 minute trip on a winding road.Miss Lucy's jazz brunch is nice but Caneel's sunday brunch is much more extensive and you have the beach right in front of you ,skinny legs is also a big favorite of many but I wouldn't spend all that time and $$ just to get a burger.Joe's bbq is good and cheap in cruz bay .enjoy

Roslyn, New York
Level Contributor
273 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Update

In Cruz Bay try Rhumb Lines, Banana Deck or Cafe Roma. I second Palmhill's advice on taxi to Coral Bay. It is diffiult to find one at Caneel to go there. Caneel has Hertz rental office on property now. Try renting for day or two. Have a great trip, We are there week of 4/5.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Update

Uncle Joe's BBQ in Cruz Bay for lunch, Ms. Lucy's, Skinny Leggs (burgers) & Ship Wreck (fresh fish on the patio) in Coral Bay

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
499 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Update

If you make it to Coral Bay, try Shipwreck and Aqua Bistro...we had great meals at both. We also wanted to try Sweet Plantains which has a great reputation, but we just didn't have time. Skinny's is very casual, good burgers, but stop in for a drink then head to one of the above for dinner. Brunch at Miss Lucy's was disappointing...just too busy.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
476 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Update

Rhumb Lines is my favorite place to eat in Cruz Bay. We also had good luck at Morgan's Mango, Lime Inn and Waterfront Bistro (more expensive, but casual). We really like Zozo's, also, but that is less casual.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
939 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Update

Zozo's at sunset a must.

Omaha
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Update

Thanks for the tip on the Coral Bay/taxi situation!

Luckily, there are a lot of great places in Cruz Bay to go - I figure why not support the local economy and also try something different (off resort)? Especially since we have been to Caneel ten times!!

We will be there with our 13 year old boy - Say hello if you see us.

Dave

Virginia
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Update

From what I have read, Fish Trap is supposed to be closing April 13 and will be re-opening in June, so you should still be able to make it there on your trip.

Check out on-stjohn.com for more info or barnako.typepad.com/news_of_st_john_usvi/

baltimore,maryland
Level Contributor
280 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Update

Greetings,

Has anyone ate at the Equator restaurant and if so how was the food? What was the atmosphere like, and what is on the menu?

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Update

Call the concierge at caneel and he will send you a menu.The atmosphere is wonderful.It is in the ruins of an old sugar mill and has beautiful foliage and glowing torches that ring the perimeter,the views are grand at sunset.The food is a bit tropical and a bit spicy but you can get them to tone it down or spice it up.The deserts are sublime,I remember something with bananas that we all loved.