We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caneel Ferry - worth it if I leave VI from Eco Tents?

Boston, MA
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Caneel Ferry - worth it if I leave VI from Eco Tents?

Good evening,

We are leaving for St. John on Friday. We are staying at Caneel for three nights, and then we are staying at Concordia Eco-Tents for three nights, (we are doing the high/low vacation, lol). The $100 charge per person for the Caneel ferry doesn't make a lot of sense if we are going to another hotel afterwards, right? Should we just shlep it?

Allen, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Caneel Ferry - worth it if I leave VI from Eco Tents?

If you have the $$ it's a nice ride, otherwise shlep it like everyone else!

Rocky Top
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caneel Ferry - worth it if I leave VI from Eco Tents?

Caneel and Westin Ferries make it as easy way to get to STJ after a long flight. They have their own rooms at the airport and handle your luggage all the way to your room. Just make sure you can do the return trip and make sure you get the return times.

I have used both ferries and happy I did each time. I find it much easier than using the ferry at Red Hook and the luggage hassel.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
317 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Caneel Ferry - worth it if I leave VI from Eco Tents?

We just came back from Caneel, and took their ferry. We have done both ways. It is worth every penny to me to take the Caneel ferry. Just so easy to let them handle everything. Have a good time at Caneel. It is wonderful. Please write a trip report when yo get back. I would like to hear your opinions about your two choices.

Boston, MA
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Caneel Ferry - worth it if I leave VI from Eco Tents?

Thanks for the responses. Do you think I can take the Caneel ferry back to St. Thomas on our last day in St. John even if we are not staying there, provided we pay for it in the $100? Has anyone experienced this?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caneel Ferry - worth it if I leave VI from Eco Tents?

While we haven't done it ourselves, I have heard of people staying at Caneel on the front or back part of their vacations and they did use the ferry for both legs of their trip. Just make sure Caneel has your departure time and reservation for your return trip.

jersey shore
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Caneel Ferry - worth it if I leave VI from Eco Tents?

Yes, you can use Caneel's ferry for the return even if you have moved to another location. We did just that a couple trips ago and all they needed to know was the departure info. We just returned to CAneel on that day and off we went. Absolutely no problems...and YES, it's an easy way to get to St John and back to STT.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
476 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caneel Ferry - worth it if I leave VI from Eco Tents?

I would definitely take Caneel ferry inbound, when you are staying there. On the return, when you're coming from Concordia, some of the "convenience" that you are paying for---not having to take a taxi to get to ferry, not having to deal with getting luggage to ferry--- is lost because you are off-site and you will have to do those things anyway. You will need to judge whether the other factors---such as not having to stand in line at the ferry booth, not having to deal with a larger crowd---are worth it to you.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caneel Ferry - worth it if I leave VI from Eco Tents?

Sfred45- not to detract from your original questions but we are going back for the 2nd time to the Concordia Eco resort this December, having stayed on the Maho side several times also. I would LOVE a trip report or a PM about your impressions of Concordia since they have some new tent cabins that weren't there on our last trip. I would LOVE to know: 1) can you reach the overhead light switches from the floor, sounds weird but the older tent cabins required me to literally stand on a chair to reach the light switch even though I'm 5'2" tall. 2) do they have any good size fans in the new tent cabins and 3) do they serve coffee anywhere onsite there? Thanks and have a great trip, you will LOVE STJ!

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
258 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caneel Ferry - worth it if I leave VI from Eco Tents?

Caneel also has a one way fee (not sure how much, they had told me $50 one way back when the RT was $90)in case you want to take it there and go on your own back.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caneel Ferry - worth it if I leave VI from Eco Tents?

I will be staying at Caneel at the end of a longer stay this February. I was told that a one-way ferry arrangement is possible and that the cost is $50.

We have done Caneel-only stays twice before and absolutely cherish the ferry service. However, as Iowaguy points out above, you lose a lot of the benefit if you're not arriving at or departing from the resort. It wouldn't have made any sense for us to take the Caneel ferry from STT, so I was pleased to have the one-way option.