We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

caneel,any questions/

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
caneel,any questions/

We will be heading down for our holidays and will be staying on property and on and about stj for the next few weeks. If anyone has any specific questions I will be happy to oblige.We have dinner reservations at each of the restaurants so I will give any updates or noticed changes in menus.Wishing everyone a happy holiday season.

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: caneel,any questions/

We will finish our villa stay in May with a few days at Caneel. We've never stayed there before. The only question that I have has to do with their men's dress code for dining locations. I get that they want long pants at the Turtle Bay house for dinner but how firm are then about the closed shoes rule in their restaurants? My husband doesn't plan to bring anything other than sandals so the closed shoe thing is an issue.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: caneel,any questions/

May is a bit more casual than the holiday time but during the holidays I rarely see men in sandals at night the official website calls for closed toe shoes. I bring a pair of slip on leather dock shoes which seem to cover the toes and still profide the comfort. I will try and get a better idea when I am on property

I know they allow men in dress shorts and nicer sandals at the beach bar area,basically neat attire,no cutoffs or flip flops and coverups during the day in the dining areas.

Roslyn, New York
Level Contributor
273 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: caneel,any questions/

In May men will still be asked to have pants and a collared shirt at Turtle Bay. At least that was what I was told last May. I believe sandals would be fine. As for the Equator, a man would be okay with nice shorts and a collared shirt. The Beach Bar Grill would be little more casual. The grill allows bathing suits and cover-ups at lunch.

Calif.
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: caneel,any questions/

Hello, hope you enjoy your stay at Caneel.

Would you or someone here please clarify: does Caneel usually assign rooms when you first book with them and if so can you request which area you would like to be in?

The rep we talked to at Caneel was very nice, but could not tell us which rooms or locations were available and was vague re: a "no kid's zone" (which has been mentioned on this forum).

What's confusing is I've read some posts where people have asked other posters about their specific room # and where that room is located.

So can you request a certain location and/or room when you book at Caneel, or is this something they just assign once you get there?

Thanks in advance,

JLH

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: caneel,any questions/

Depending on the time of year scott beach and paradise beach are considered the no children beaches,the exception to this rule is during holiday periods such as christmas,and thanksgiving,the rest of the year the rooms on scott beach and cottage 7 are for adults or at least people with no children under 12. As far as requesting a particular room caneel doesn't give a room number until the day you arrive. If you have preferences you can ask for a certain area but not all requests can be granted as there are a limited number of rooms on each beach and in each category. If you have an area which you really do not want to be in also tell the reservationist and this may help you get to a room closer to your preference.During peak holidays the rooms are generally reserved a year in advance as the repeat long term guests make requests in the days prior to their departure. In that case repeat guests might request the same room year after year and I have found those requests usually are honored.I hope this clarifies the question.

Calif.
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: caneel,any questions/

palmhill, yes that does help answer my question - thanks! We will not be there during a holiday but can understand them honoring repeat visitors' room requests.

Is there (or are there) any specific areas that we should avoid staying in when it comes to street noise? I'd rather not be smack in the middle of the early morning 'shuttle run' if at all possible. I read something about this being an issue in another post but cannot remember which beachfront this was on.

Thanks again,

JLH

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: caneel,any questions/

I have never been bothered by or heard the shuttle run from my rooms on little caneel,caneel,hawksnest or scottbeach,I think that there may be a bit of noise near the tennis garden area and also if you are near the shuttle stop at turtle bay. It has never bothered me but others have mentioned some noise near the ocean view rooms I believe the grouping near room 52 if you have a caneel map.I will try and do a bit of a tour on the shuttle and pay a bit more attention to the noise. I usually walk from beach to beach in the early a.m. and the grounds are blissfully qiet. I personally think the tree frogs are much noisier at night. The other heads up is the early a.m. ferry boat runs,and the bell clangs, which can wake a sound sleeper if their rooms are on little caneel.

Calif.
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: caneel,any questions/

Your input has been so helpful, palmhill. Thanks so much!

JLH

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: caneel,any questions/

We just returned form a wonderful stay on Scott Beach. It was blissfully quiet, with only the sound of the waves, UNTIL the ferry boat comes through. I didn't get up to look at the time, but it must have been around 6:00 am? I have to say that it was extremely loud and lasted for a good 5-10 minutes on Scott- I think it echoes around the bay. IMO, it was a small price to pay for paradise and it wouldn't prevent me from staying there again.

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
251 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: caneel,any questions/

palmhill - I read recently about "refreshed bathroom"...did you notice any difference or any other upgrades they may have done while closed?

Thanks!