We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caneel Bay Resort

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Caneel Bay Resort

I would be interested in hearing from folks who have stayed at Caneel Bay in the last month or so....how was service, food, rooms, etc? Negative posts have me a little tentative about our decision to stay there. We are definitely not needing to be entertained, but do like to feel a little "spoiled" when I spend this much on rooms. We are staying in premium beachfront rooms. We are celebrating my wife's 50th BD, our 25th Wedding Anniversary and a daughter's college graduation...any ideas for where we celebrate with a nice dinner, wine or champagne, etc?

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Caneel Bay Resort

I have never stayed at Caneel so I can't really help you but you are aware there are no tv, phones, radios in the rooms right? Having said that you will definatley be "spoiled" by all the wonderful beaches at Caneel (and the rest of STJ) For a fabulous diner I highly recommend Tage - excellent.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caneel Bay Resort

Hi, I read the other day that Caneel is refurbishing rooms. I think I read it in Tradewinds News.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Caneel Bay Resort

Yes, I am aware of the lack of outside influence!!...and we like that part! Little Palm Island is the same way in the Florida Keys and we thoroughly enjoyed that resort. I just want the rooms to be clean and nice .....and the service good. We are more about the beaches, snorkeling, food and drinks than anything....

Roslyn, New York
Level Contributor
273 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caneel Bay Resort

My wife and I have visited Caneel at least a dozen times ,the most recent being my own 50th celebration last June. If you love beautiful, unspoiled beaches with few people this is the place for you. We have been to many islands, and many high end resorts, but keep returning to Caneel.

The rooms are not glitzy but are clean and comfortable. I have heard many describe Caneel as camp for the well to do. Your location should be on Scott Beach, which is our favorite afternoon hang out. Look for plenty of turtles after 4 p.m.

As for places to eat, there are several fine restaurants in Cruz Bay. We prefer going to town via short taxi ride. Tage is a favorite. Also try Zozos, Tapas, and Stone Terrace. For more casual Morgans Mango , Fish Trap and Lime Inn have good seafood, etc. I suggest renting a car to explore the island for a day. You can beach hop along the north shore and have lunch at Skinny Legs in Coral Bay. Have a great time!

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caneel Bay Resort

Tell caneel about your upcoming celebrations we also just got back from very similar anniversary graduation and b-days!We had a great time it is very low key but the service was excellent, the rooms on scott or cottage point are likely to have been refurbished. We stayed on hawksnest but have also been on caneel,tennis garden and little caneel. some rooms are bigger but they are all clean and the food was very good we went into town for dinner the first four nights just to get some variety but the food at the Equator and turtle bay on property were both better than tage{sorry Tage fans}...Caneel gave us more than enough to eat and drinkand made us feel very special during this special time in our lives. congrats and enjoy.

Texas
Level Contributor
142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caneel Bay Resort

I just took my wife to One & Only La Palmilla for her 50th birthday.

Went to Caneel Bay a few years ago and wish I could erase it from my memory. If you want to be spoiled, then read the negative comments very carefully before plucking down $1k a night.

There are so many gorgeous places with incredible service and rooms at that price level. Caneel is a Motel 6 that is an insult to one of the best beaches and off the beach snorkeling that one can find.

Harrisburg
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caneel Bay Resort

I have not stayed at Caneel within the past two years but have several times over the past ten.

Make sure Caneel knows it is a special occasion. For our seventh anniversary trip, Champagne on ice and a fresh fruit plate were waiting on arrival. We took all down to the beach (all of 22 steps from your room).

The Equator is lovely (on the resort). In town, the Stone Terrace gets good reviews (we enjoyed our meal). Some also like Zozo's, especially for the sunsets. Caneel can arrange a private table/server within the grounds at the sugar mill ruins. We watched from afar and it looked very special.

Email the manager directly with special requests, you can find a link on Caneel's website.

Harrisburg
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caneel Bay Resort

More two cents relating to your concerns:

I have followed reviews for several years and based on our own experiences staying at Caneel, I think it is one of those places you either love or hate. During our trips, we spoke to many guests in both camps.

The rooms are tropical, all tile, shutters, rattan furniture, no tv, phone, etc. Some people don't like this as they expect "plush" hotel finishes.

The draw is definately the grounds, beaches, natural beauty. Nothing compares. I don't want to be snide but anyone looking for a nice hotel pool (I am referencing a recent post) should have stayed at the Westin as Caneel as it isn't that type of resort.

When we were on our honeymoon, we met a number of other newlyweds. Half were shocked, they expected a Sandals-type of resort and were very disappointed. (One bride didn't like the sand!), the others were like us and thrilled by the privacy and the access to the beaches.

Concering the staff and service, in ten years we always had great experiences. I think it is because of general good manners and an understanding of island culture. When I read negative reviews about the attitude of the staff, the first thought that comes to mind is "ugly american".

I truly hope you have a wonderful trip. We can't wait until the kids are old enough for us to return to Caneel.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caneel Bay Resort

I must agree with cleobeach ... caneel is unlike any resort we have stayed and we have been to the four seasons,ritz etc....Little can be said to dissuade someone who feels it was like a motel 6 I have always felt like I was treated with exceptional warmth and have been a customer who likes to be a bit pampered. We understand that Caneel is not for everyone and especially not for people who do not understand the beauty of the natural setting.As I have mentioned in a previous post we just returned from a ten day stay in december 05.Our stay is fresh on our minds We ate at all three restaurants and the beach bar and did not have a single bad meal. the rooms are not the reason we go to caneel and would never keep us away.We have stayed on hawknest,little caneel,caneel,tennis garden and even one night my daughters friend stayed courtside. They were always clean and kept full of fresh towels,ice,and anything else we requested,they are in the middle of renovation plans so you might call the hotel directly to find out more on the newer rooms The only way to experience it is to be honest about what you are looking for...we go to caneel for the beaches,the service, the warmth, the good food and will hopefully be fortunate to go for many years to come.

caneelbound I am a only one opinion and can only say that our family and friends love caneel. Good luck and let us know where you decided to go.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Caneel Bay Resort

I feel better....we have booked 2 rooms in premium oceanfront for us and our 2 college age daughters during their UT-Austin spring-break, March 12-18. Hopefully, we will get rooms on Scott Beach. The only activity we have pre-booked is a Tuesday day-sail on the "Fantasy" out of Red Hook. Anyone with knowledge of them would be appreciated. The rest of the week will be spent snorkeling and sight-seeeing. We plan to rent a jeep at Caneel, assuming that is the best place for us to do so. This is a special trip with all of our celebrations this year and we really want to enjoy time with the girls. Look forward to seeing Cruz Bay. The little shops and bars will likely all see us! Woody's will be a must-see. I saw a picture on this site of a small jewlery shop that, from the title, I assumed was owned by "stjohnjulie" and we will certainly stop in to say hello. She has made some hepful posts. Still trying to decide on a restaurant in Cruz Bay for a really nice dinner. Everyone seems to have good things to say about most of the nice ones, so we might just go and decide when we see them.

Get answers to your questions about Caneel Bay