We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caneel Bay Transfers

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Caneel Bay Transfers

What is the deal with the $110 per person transfer fee from Caneel? Is this fee already tacked on when you book? Or is this something that you have to pay separately? If it is something you have to pay separately, why would you pay $110 per person when you can easily do a round trip from the airport to Caneel and back for under $100 for two people round trip?

If anyone can shed some light on this, that would be most helpful. Thanks in advance!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caneel Bay Transfers

why would you pay $110 per person when you can easily do a round trip from the airport to Caneel and back for under $100 for two people round trip?

Because it is easy and relaxing and part of the Caneel experience.

You can opt out of it, just let the resort know you will be checking in at the resort, not the airport.

Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Caneel Bay Transfers

I'm pretty sure that it's tacked on when you reserve. However, you can opt out if you wish and the $$ would be applied to your room account. It is a separate charge and not part of your room rate.

Yes, it does seem like a lot of money if you compare it to the cost of cabs and the ferry (plus potential luggage fees for those) and tips. But the convenience and relaxation factor is a huge plus. You turn your luggage over to the staff at baggage claim, they transport all baggage to your room (where you might want to tip). It includes taxi to the private Caneel ferry, the airport lounge where you can check in and enjoy drinks (and A/C) and light snacks. The ferry serves you a rum punch (or two!) or another drink. They greet you at the ferry at Caneel with your key and a cold towel and take you to your room (or you can walk yourself or take the property bus if you know the way). They also time the ferry departure times to coincide with the major flights in and out of STT so you don't usually have a long wait. (By the way they once even picked us up at the cruise ship dock when we came to Caneel after a cruise that ended in STT!)

I'm not positive that you can check in at the airport lounge if you are not taking the transfers. I think if you arrange your own, when you arrive at the parking lot gate you would need to go to the office to check in (although I think you could turn your luggage over to the bell staff at that point); however, I'm not sure as we have always taken the transfers.

If you take the transfers you can also use the ferry to go to St. Thomas at any time during your stay. Also on your departure, you can have them let you out in downtown CA for an hour or so if you have time to do a little shopping or whatever and they will take your luggage on to the airport and hold it for you.

So the short answer is, yes it costs more....probably at least twice what you could do on your own. But it's VERY convenient and your vacation starts right away.

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caneel Bay Transfers

Thank you for the suggestion and the information. I am going to double check to see if we were charged for the transfer fees. If not, I think I'm going to save my $140.

Northeast
Level Contributor
155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Caneel Bay Transfers

I haven't read back through your posts, but is this your first time to St. John? If so, you might not know the drill about getting from the airport to the resort. It can be harrowing for first timers (or not, depending on the kind of person you are) and can feel very rushed. You also might just barely miss the next ferry, etc. With the resort, if they know you are coming in they might hold the boat or taxi for you.

We mostly make the trip ourselves, and even years later it can get a little nerve wracking. We arranged for private taxies for our in-laws on our family trip, so it wouldn't be confusing or stressful for them. When we stay at Caneel, we always take them up on the ferry.

There really is nothing like having your luggage show up in your room while you are whisked around and given refreshments. It is an awesome way to begin your stay after an early and long travel day. It is so worth it.

Coatesville...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Caneel Bay Transfers

Yes it is expensive but well worth it. We went to CB in May fit the first time and we didn't have to worry about our luggage or getting a taxi from the airport to a ferry because we left it all up to CB. We used their ferry and it was very convenient. Can't wait to go back. Only thing I had to decide was which beach to head to every day. CB took care if our luggage even at check out. It was too easy!

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caneel Bay Transfers

Thanks again! Upon further review, it appears your advice will most likely be taken. I re-added up the numbers and it appears as though it will be close to $200 anyway just to travel to and from caneel just for arrival and departing and for one trip to St.. Thomas. Of course generally speaking it will be cheaper to not use caneel, but only by $50 at the most for two people. What is missing from my equation is the added convenience of what Caneel offers and what you are stating they offer. So thanks again for the advice!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caneel Bay Transfers

Depending on your arrival time, you may have the opportunity to spend some time down by the harbor. The check-in desk will set you up with a taxi who drops you off down in the main shopping area and points out the Caneel ferry docking area. We liked going down to the harbor area and walking around for a while, window shopping and grabbing a drink prior to taking the next ferry.

8. Re: Caneel Bay Transfers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 19:17