We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Room booking dilemma in June

arlington heights il
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Room booking dilemma in June

Hi! Husband, 10-year-old, and myself going to Caneel in early June.

We've always stayed beachfront in the past--at Caneel, Hawksnest, Little Caneel.

Last time we stayed beachfront on Caneel and DH said there were so many annoying kids and day-trippers he is not staying on that beach again.

We thought we might try Turtle this time, but I have some questions.

1. In early June is the bar in the estate house open during the day? Or at all?

2. What are the non-beachfront rooms like at Turtle (99-102)? Are they comparable size-wise to the beachfront rooms? Are they noisy? (If restaurant not open in June--disregard.) I'm not a huge fan of the two-story setup of the beachfront rooms.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Room booking dilemma in June

You probably could get more definitive answers on what exactly is open by calling the front desk. If memory serves, the bar is open, but the restaurant is not usually. However, you also might consider the possibility there might be weddings at Turtle and receptions at the estate house which we have run into a few times (also the last time we were there the manager's reception was at the estate house but that was during March when the restaurant was open). They also use the estate house for business meetings when there are company retreats there. Also, according to the map, there is now a nail salon up there and the Turtle Town children's area is there, but I don't think that's particularly noisy. These are just additional things in that area that may cause noise around those four rooms, even if the restaurant isn't open.

Although we've not stayed in those rooms, most of the rooms at Caneel are about the same size. We love the Turtle bay area and have stayed there many times. The two story hasn't been an issue. And I agree with your husband about Caneel beach....it wouldn't be my choice but I think if I had kids it tow, it would be so maybe that's why there's so many of them there.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Room booking dilemma in June

During our last trip (late June) the Estate House was closed for meals but there was a special cocktail hour (for Caneel guests) one day and at least two weddings (small)

During that trip, we stayed on the very end, second floor of Hawksnest on the side closest to the Turtle Bay grouping of rooms. We did not notice any noise from the kids area or the estate house.

Roslyn, New York
Level Contributor
275 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Room booking dilemma in June

We stayed at Turtle in May 2011. The bar was not open during the day, nor was the restaurant. The only refreshment service was the set up for tea in the afternoon and the Monday evening manager's reception. There was a waiter coming by on the beach every so often.

We loved the location. Very quite on the beach. The only noise was from the family above us when using their balcony, not a big deal. We had a lower level room (last one on the left if facing the beach). You could walk out the "back" door a few steps down to the beach. The room itself was typical in size to other beachfront rooms. The 2nd floor rooms have a vaulted ceiling which may make the room seem larger. But, you then can"t walk out of the room directly onto the beach. Hope this helps.

4. Re: Room booking dilemma in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Caneel Bay