We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok, Caneel Experts!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Ok, Caneel Experts!

After living on island and vacationing at least once a year for the past 10 years, we are finally staying at Caneel in April.

I am giddy about this new STJ adventure and want to be sure that we make the most of our one time visit. It is very unlikely that we will stay again as this is a big celebration and double what we normally spend for vacation.

Tell me what I need to know. Any tips that most people might not know?

We are staying Premium beachfront and will likely be dining in town for dinners, with the exception of Zozo's. We do have breakfast included.

Thanks!!

Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Ok, Caneel Experts!

We've never had any issue with drinking the tap water at Caneel. We just refill the bottle provided. The airport lounge has bottled water for you to take on the ride to the ferry. The ferry can get bouncy. However, the ferry ride from Red Hook is no more than 15 minutes. From downtown, 30. I don't usually get motion sickness but my husband does and he's not had an issue. I do know it can be a real problem for some.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Ok, Caneel Experts!

I am boater and used to live on STJ, the ferry is not an issue for me :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Ok, Caneel Experts!

i visited for a day and would love to stay here. hope to do this someday in the future. i have heard that you can get snorkel gear for free and use it the entire stay, take the ferry tht goes to STT daily for free if you want to get away for a few hours, and I may do a day trip here during my stay just to check out their beaches and the grounds. enjoy.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 19:46
NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Ok, Caneel Experts!

Yes, guests have access to snorkel gear and also Lasers, Sunfish, windsurfing, SUPs and Hobie Cats (If you know how to use them). I think (but don't know) if lessons are available for these things or not.

The RT transfer fee from airport to Caneel and back includes unlimited trips to St Thomas. This is either to Red Hook with a comp cab ride to Charlotte Amalie or a direct ferry to Charlotte Amalie. The destination is time dependent.

In recent years daytrippers were confined to Caneel Beach and this seems to have been enforced, but if you ask at the desk as a prospective guest, they may allow you to walk the grounds beyond the main area. In the recent past I have seen grounds tours given to prospective guests on one of the newer electric carts/buses.

I hope you decide to stay. Many of us find it a very special place.

25. Re: Ok, Caneel Experts!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 07:22
Get answers to your questions about Caneel Bay
Recent Conversations