We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many people actually rent a Jeep at Caneel?

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How many people actually rent a Jeep at Caneel?

I've been staying at Gallow's for a while now and we've obviously had to rent a Jeep in order to get around. Renting a Jeep has become part of Staying on STJ.

Being this is our first time to Caneel, I figure we will want to spend a lot of time exploring the beaches that have been off limits to us. I'm wondering if, being a first timer, I'll actually want to leave the resort to go to other beaches.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many people actually rent a Jeep at Caneel?

Tough question to answer.

Since 1995, we have split our STJ between villas and Caneel. Our first trip to STJ was our honeymoon at Caneel and we explored the island most afternoons. Subsequent trips we rented a Jeep for at least a few days as well because we wanted to visit our favorite off-property places, like a mid-afternoon drive to Coral Bay for a late lunch at the Shipwreck. But no, I never felt the need to visit other beaches when staying at Caneel.

If you have a lot of trips under your belt, maybe take this trip to chill in one spot and just got to town for dinners. Caneel does have a relationship with some rental agency (can't remember the name) and you can rent by the day with them.

To answer your other question from the taxi thread, I think it is $5 pp, each way.

Edited: 31 December 2013, 19:17
Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How many people actually rent a Jeep at Caneel?

I agree with Cleo. If you are familiar with the island and have explored it before, it might be a good time to just chill at Caneel. We have rented a jeep by the day from them before and it's no problem. And if you're tied to certain experiences when you go (Lunch at Skinny Legs?) you may want to be sure to get that in.

We love St. John and have been all over the island, but mostly we just stay at Caneel because our vacations there are all about relaxing. We take a cab to dinner and sometimes a trip into town.

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How many people actually rent a Jeep at Caneel?

The daily Jeep rental option is perfect. That's makes everything a lot easier.

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many people actually rent a Jeep at Caneel?

I thicnk the rental agency is Varlack. They have an onproperty office that was next to the gift shop when I was there last January. I don't know if anything has changed with a new gelateria and any other changes under the new (but almost the same personnel) management.

5. Re: How many people actually rent a Jeep at Caneel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:18