We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changes - a few small things

Hinsdale, Illinois
13 posts
Save Topic
Changes - a few small things

Just booked a room for April and noticed some differences I thought I would point out for all of the veteran Caneel guests.

- Refrigerator in room - now a daily charge of $20

- More than half of the Caneel Ferry trips to St Thomas come and go from Red Hook, requiring a 30 minute cab ride vs. the 10 minute ride to Charlotte Amalie. This will make for a really long day of travel with connecting flights.

- Zozo's and the Sushi bar are not included in the meal plans. This may not be different from last year, however I thought it was useful in considering whether or not to buy 'up' to a meal plan or pay as you go.

I will say that service from the reservation staff was excellent and quicker than in the past. Perhaps there are less layers of management to contend with as was suggested in a previous thread.

ny
Level Contributor
303 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changes - a few small things

$20/day for a fridge? That's high even for Caneel.

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changes - a few small things

Re the ferry: is that a change?

over the past few years that I've been going most of the ferry rides went to Red Hook, but we were always provided a comp drop off in town (CA) as we traveled along with other guests on their ride to the airport.

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changes - a few small things

Thanks for the meal-plan info. I was wondering how ZoZo's was going to prioitize MAP and FAP guests in season and still maintain any availability for non-Caneel guests. I figured it would be an F&B nightmare. I guess it was :-)

Hinsdale, Illinois
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Changes - a few small things

Ngatti - In the last 5 years my Mom and I have stayed at the resort, we've never been dropped off in Red Hook. Perhaps this has to do with the timing of our departure (we typically never left Caneel before Noon). How was the taxi ride from Red Hook? Typically 30 minutes?

Also, on a separate topic...we are traveling with my 11 yr old niece this year and have booked a BF room on Little Caneel beach. Any tips on keeping a 'Tween' happy at Caneel in the evenings? She is 11 going on 19! My niece is an avid swimmer, loves animals and this will be her first time visiting the Caribbean and seeing the ocean. I know she will love it! But, I'm concerned that there may not be enough going on since her day to day life is jam packed with social events, sports competitions, performances, parties etc.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changes - a few small things

Yeah, I'm sure it's a departure time thing. I get dropped in Red Hook more often than not. The CA direct boats are either too early or too late for me. Taxi ride time? Maybe twenty-thirty minutes. Maybe more what with gathering the airport folk and their bags into the van.

I can't speak to the tweens thing. I think she'll have fun, I'm sure there may be a few others her age there. My kids are grown and we didn't start traveling until they were on their own. My grandchild is still an infant/toddler. I've got a coupla/several years before I am traveling with her.

Easton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changes - a few small things

We just got back from Caneel where we spent Christmas week. In terms of the Caneel ferry, I believe most of the ferry's during the peak airport transfer times were from town rather than from Red Hook. ZoZo's is a huge upscale restaurant and is not in the meal plan. Because of this we didn't sign up for the meal plan. The food at ZoZo's is probably the best on the island and we had four of our 9 dinners there. One important point....make sure you make your reservations for ZoZo's before you arrive as it fills up very quickly.

Easton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changes - a few small things

We just got back from Caneel with our four grandchildren ages 9, 7, 7 and 2. We had our rooms on Caneel Beach and between the surf boarding, snorkeling, afternoon tennis lessons, etc they had more than enough to do. I am not sure if 11 is too old but our grandchildren (except for the 2 year old) loved going to the Kids Club in the evening. The two year old was not toilet trained yet so we arranged with Caneel for a babysitter for him every night so between the kids club and the babysitter we were able to have a relaxing evening dinner.

8. Re: Changes - a few small things

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 05:17