We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ownership update? Changes?

College Station...
Level Contributor
306 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Ownership update? Changes?

I am a long time fan of Caneel (30 years). One of my favorite spots in the world. Last visit was last July. Just heard that they are no longer Rosewood managed. Have any other long time fans been back since this change and update me on any changes they see? Is the management the same? Who are the new owners?

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ownership update? Changes?

Everything is exactly the same as you remembered. WONDERFUL !! Best resort on STJ.

Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ownership update? Changes?

Management is the same. No big resort company which I think is a plus. There is a nice review from a long time visitor from February (I think) ngatti, to give you some 'previous guest' perspective. We'll be there in two weeks. There are other reviews from previous guests too. I know the reviews can be problematic due to the nature of Caneel and individual expectations, but if you are a long time visitor, you know what to expect. I'm thinking of writing a review when I get back.

College Station...
Level Contributor
306 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ownership update? Changes?

Hoosier,

Please do update us when you get back. Hoping standards will be maintained and certain areas (food) may be improved!

Thanks

Wellesley...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ownership update? Changes?

tradewinds.vi/index.php/592-news/2013-08-new…

Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ownership update? Changes?

This isn’t really a trip report or a review so I decided to make it a part of this post since Texian specifically asked.

We stayed at Caneel from 5/14 to 5/21. We have been going to Caneel since 1986, which encompasses every managing entity they have had. Caneel hooked us on the very first visit and it’s one of our favorite places on earth. There have been great management (Rockresorts), very good management (now), good management (Rosewood) and not so good (CSX). There has been some discussion about expectations of Caneel and how if people don’t understand what Caneel is, they can be very disappointed. Our expectation on the other hand is that Caneel will be what it has been in the past. I don’t expect Rockresorts again. Rockresorts type management no longer exists in the world (they were a not for profit and you could tell it. All the money went into your stay, not stockholder dividends). But we do expect to find the property in great shape and the service to be attentive. Expectations met.

With the change last year, everything appears to be just rolling along nicely. Service was fabulous. The concierge desk was wonderful. There were two weddings at the resort while we were there and I’m sure services were strained a bit with so much going on, but you couldn’t tell it. I had a short talk with Nikolay at the Manager’s reception (and by the way, the food there and on the Sunset Cocktail cruise was really great. The wine they were pouring was good quality though reasonably priced bottles -- in the states at least). He said they had a great winter season and were very pleased with the new company. They are waiting for approval from the National Park Service before doing renovations. He said they had done two rooms…I didn’t ask which ones. I think I know where one is, but I didn’t confirm.

FOOD-- Breakfasts were perhaps a little better, though the menu hasn’t changed. I did think the fruit was more varied and fresher and for some reason, it just seemed better. Good food and excellent service in the Beach Bar and Terrace. Sometimes a little slow because of the crowds of day trippers. There was excellent service and excellent food at Turtle Bay. The best meal I’ve had on the island. Ever. We would have eaten there again but because they are only open a few days a week during the off season, it didn’t work out. I did think the wine was overpriced, but we found that true everywhere, including the liquor store at StarFish (maybe not the cheapest place to buy wine, but we were there). So maybe it’s an import issue. The gelato at the new shop is really good. We didn’t try the sandwiches or coffee there…maybe next year.

I was pleased to learn that no Caneel employees lost their jobs with the transition to ZoZos. Although this doesn’t apply to Caneel, we had gone to ZoZos in town last year because of all the raves on TA. We were not impressed, but decided to go back again because so many people just love it. Again, not impressed. The service was very slow but I really think it’s a kitchen issue not a service issue. We had reservations for a second night there and cancelled. We probably won’t go back. On the other hand we went to Asolare for the first time and were totally blown away by the food, service and location (of course, the view isn’t as great overall as it is at the Sugar Mill but it’s different and lovely.) I might also add that the changes in the Caneel parking lot are really great and I’m sure appreciated by all who go there. It’s much easier for the taxis.

The only other comment I’d make is that we had really great snorkeling off the beaches. We visited all seven. Also, the coral seems a bit improved. It’s not like it was before Hugo but I probably won’t live to see that. It was a great trip.

College Station...
Level Contributor
306 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ownership update? Changes?

Hooiser,

Thanks! You hit all the points. Good to hear that things are equal or better. We too are long timers since 1983. Love the place.

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ownership update? Changes?

Didn't stay at Caneel but had lunch. The sushi and gelato were fantastic!

8. Re: Ownership update? Changes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 07:16