We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caneel sunset cruise vs. sunset sail

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Topic
Caneel sunset cruise vs. sunset sail

Can anyone comment on the sunset cruise vs. a sunset sail as to which they prefer and the atmosphere? It sounds as if the sunset cruise is on the same boat they use for the ferry so I am just wondering if it is a been there, done that feeling. Also sounds if there will be more people and perhaps more of a party atmosphere vs. a sail where there are 6-8 people, no live music, probably not as much food and drink. Caneel cruise is a bit cheaper ($55 vs. $80)

I am sure we would enjoy either, just looking for advice if you have to pick one which would you do.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caneel sunset cruise vs. sunset sail

I have done both two or three times.

The cruise is on one of the large ferries. I do not remember a party (as in a rowdy/tipsy way) atmosphere during any of the trips. It was relaxing. There was a steel pan player. I don't think it was ever crowded but theses were all summer trips.

The sail cruises were lovely. The boats we were on were limited to six passengers, maybe there are larger boats in the fleet now. I do remember the sail boats being the highest quality (a Hinckley one time) with top notch crew.

I like sail boats which makes the sail cruise my favorite. The "ferry" cruises were nice as it gave us a chance to meet other guests. Sort of reminded me of a cocktail party.

Raleigh, North...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caneel sunset cruise vs. sunset sail

Hi! I can only comment on the sunset sail. We didn't want anything to distract from the beauty of the sunset and the sound of the water so that's why we opted for the sunset sail. It was excellent. The captain was friendly and fun and provided us with beverages and light appetizers. We enjoyed talking with the other guests on the boat as well and genuinely had a good time. The boat had about 8 people on it which was a perfect size to enjoy a quiet sail.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Caneel sunset cruise vs. sunset sail

We just returned on Saturday (during Bertha, but that is another story) and did the sunset sail last Wednesday, largely for many of the reasons Stephanie mentioned. I can wholeheartedly say we mad the right choice. Greg and Barbara, owners of the boat Spitfire that Caneel contracts with, were absolutely great and it was simply gorgeous with just the gentle rocking of the boat, the breeze, and sound of the water. We were treated to one of the top sunsets of our lives. The only one I can remember as better was in Hawaii 10 years ago. Even the captain and crew were taking photos and they live on a boat! I would highly recommend the sail. I am sure the cruise is fun, the sail is just a different, special experience.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
11 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caneel sunset cruise vs. sunset sail

Sunset Sail - Greg and Barbara, owners of the Spitfire tied off at Caneel were a pleasure to converse with. We had 2 - 6/7 year olds traveling and Greg had them entertained with pirate tales and magic knots. One of the best sunsets we have experienced ever was on that sail. Barbara made some small delicious appetizers and poured a nice white wine to make it a special evening. We would highly recommend the sail to anyone looking for peace and tranquility.

5. Re: Caneel sunset cruise vs. sunset sail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Caneel Bay