We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August honeymoon

North Georgia
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
August honeymoon

I'm thinking of bringing my soon-to-be wife to Caneel Bay Resort for our honeymoon in August. After browsing the forums, I still have a few questions.

Is August during hurricane season? Should this be a concern?

Have the Cottage Poin ocean view rooms been renovated yet?

Would renting a jeep for a day or two be worthwhile? Both my fiancee and I enjoy hiking, etc.

Is the resort's "Allure: 7 Night Package" worthwhile? Or would we be better off getting a nicer room and eating our meals in town?

And speaking of meals, what should we expect to spend if we choose to eat our meals away from the resort at restaurants?

What about mosquitos in August?

I would great appreciate any information provided.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
772 Reviews
St. John
Harrisburg
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August honeymoon

August in the caribbean - hurricanes will be a concern for almost any island. Personally, we really enjoyed the summer weather in the VIs, hot yet breezy.

I think renting a Jeep for the entire week is worthwhile, especially if you both like to explore. If you go to town to eat, renting a Jeep will save on cab fare.

We did the Allure package for our honeymoon. We liked the resort meals but grew tired of the same choices after a few days. During the summer, it is likely at least one of the three Caneel restaurants will be closed. For later trips, we skipped the meal package and went to town for most of our evening meals.

Cost of meals off the resort depends on where and how you eat. We spend about $100 per night in town but that includes drinks, aps, desserts, etc. (We enjoying eating out and splurge on vacation)

When we were at Caneel in Feb 2006, the front desk told me all rooms would be remodelled by the end of the year. I would call Rosewood and inquire directly.

North Georgia
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August honeymoon

Thanks! I appreciate the information. After the first of the year, I'll be back to honeymoon planning. Right now I'm considering Peter Island Resort also.

Thanks.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August honeymoon

Hi,

We split our honeymoon between Caneel and Peter Island. If you have enough days to work with I would suggest doing it. We loved both resorts.

Mentioned in this post
Peter Island
Peter Island
British Virgin Islands
new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August honeymoon

We just returned from our annual caneel trip. The food was sub par compared to prior years. They have a new executive chef and I can not say anything good about any of our dinners.that being said we also had alot of mediocre food in town.The cottage point rooms have not been renovated yet. We had rooms on turtle,hawksnest and scott which were all renovated.The real reason to go to caneel is the beaches...as wonderful as usual...they never dissappoint us. Good luck.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August honeymoon

We just returned from our annual caneel trip. The food was sub par compared to prior years. They have a new executive chef and I can not say anything good about any of our dinners.that being said we also had alot of mediocre food in town.The cottage point rooms have not been renovated yet. We had rooms on turtle,hawksnest and scott which were all renovated.The real reason to go to caneel is the beaches...as wonderful as usual...they never dissappoint us. Good luck.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August honeymoon

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
4 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August honeymoon

Ah! A honeymoon at Caneel in August! Here is my recommendation, and I think I might be considered an expert since I had my honeymoon in August at Caneel in 1977. It will be our 3Oth anniversary this year and we will spend it at the Bay on Scott Beach! This will be our 13th trip; we're also going in April and we aren't wealthy

Our entire lives were shaped by our experience at Caneel Bay, room 82 Scott Beach to be exact. In all those years, it hasn't changed too much, thank goodness!

If your wedding is early in August you should be OK in terms of hurricanes. The no see-ums (mosquitos) will be out after dark, but a little "Off" or whatever (provided in all the rooms) work well. I've stayed in most room types on the plantation (As it used to be known as a Rockresort) except for Tennis Gardens, but Scott Beach is the BEST!!! Go for it and the European plan. We love Equator and think the new chef at Turtle Bay is great, but you must bring your new bride to Asolare in Cruz Bay. Make a reservation (the desk will do it and get a table on the balcony or terrace. You'll see the glimmery lights of St. Thomas and think you are in a Jimmy Buffet song! The food is exquisite!

You can hike the trails right from the plantation(bring lots of water; Caneel will pack you a lunch too!), but rent a jeep for at least a day so you can go to Skinny Legs in Coral Bay and pretend you are a St Johnian. If you want another romantic dinner off the resort, we recommend Chateau Bordeaux, but take a taxi ($24 each way for 2) because it is a treacherous drive!

Just to let you know, when we first went to Caneel, children were not allowed. We finally brought our kids when they were 10 and 13. They were immediately hooked and have been back with us many times!

Oh my goodness, I could keep going. Our lives and our dreams evolved (and still do) around Caneel Bay, our private paradise. The sea stars, conchs, and turtles await!

Best wishes for a magical wedded life! Maybe we'll see you on the beach!

Mentioned in this post
Turtle Bay
Turtle Bay
101 Reviews
St. John
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
St. John
8. Re: August honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Caneel Bay