We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest Bahamian island to reach from Philly?

Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
460 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Easiest Bahamian island to reach from Philly?

Other than Nassau or Freeport? Ideally we'd want to take a non-stop to one of those from PHL, then perhaps a ferry to another smaller, quieter island. Does that exist? (a quiet island reachable by ferry from Nassau or Freeport) I'm very interested in Exuma, but it sounds like a puddle jumper flight is necessary to reach it, which I'm a bit ambivalent about. Thanks in advance for any help.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,789 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest Bahamian island to reach from Philly?

you can ferry to some of the out islands. google bahama fast ferries

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,789 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest Bahamian island to reach from Philly?

I would probably suggest the 8.00 a.m. morning ferry from Nassau to Harbour Island (Eleuthera) which takes about 2 1/2 hours. Most places on HI require a min. 3 nite stay, and I recommend you should rent a golf cart for the duration of your stay (for getting around the island).

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,706 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest Bahamian island to reach from Philly?

All flights to the 'out' islands of the Bahamas are via 'puddle jumper'

aircraft. I understand your anxiety as these craft are smaller twin engine

propeller aircraft. While they are safe to fly, they do have severe weight

limitations. Tthe relatively short runways on these island prevent larger aircraft from landing.

The ferry from Harbour Island is on a brand new boat. The trip now takes

3 hours because the new boat is slower than the one it replaced. Harbour

Island is a beautiful place to visit. You can rent a golf cart for around $45

a day.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest Bahamian island to reach from Philly?

American has recently started flying mid-sized aircraft into Governor's Harbour from Miami and they have some very attractive prices right now. I'm not sure if these aircraft are used on any other routes. I have flown the 19 seat Beechcrafts from Fort Lauderdale and Nassau into Eluethera and find these planes very enjoyable to fly on. The fast ferry from Nassau lets you get to several islands, although on a stormy day you may wish you had taken the puddle-jumper. Some of the runways on the outer islands are actually quite long, such as the ones on Eleuthera, as they were built for military bases. They had some large commercial planes flying direct to Eleuthera when the Club Med was there.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easiest Bahamian island to reach from Philly?

Goingtoprovo,

Between parents and children, our family makes numerous trips to Great Exuma from Philadelphia and Atlantic City throughout the year. With rare exception, most of our trips are routed through south FLA. The USAirways flights from PHL to Nassau and then connections to Exuma are always much more expensive and the times inconvenient - especially on Bahamasair. With Sky Bahamas and Western Air flying from Nassau to GGT it's a bit more convenient. We tend to go with American from PHL either on the 6AM flight through in one day - but it's a long layover. The fligth to GGT is on a 60 seater. Or we fly out the night before and stay in a hotel and fly out the next day. I prefer this over getting up so early! We also use USAirways or Southwest to FLL and then transfer to Continental - smaller plane - 19 seats or so. Another option is Spirit Air from AC nonstop to FLL and then picking up the Continental flight. This is great because AC is such a quiet airport.

Edited: 04 January 2010, 14:11
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easiest Bahamian island to reach from Philly?

I left out that the American flights connect through Miami - which is always hectic - an understatement!

Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
460 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easiest Bahamian island to reach from Philly?

Wow, thank you everyone for your replies.

Tutman- I looked into the ferries. Thank you for sharing that info.

Tigervette- Yeah, I'm not surprised that there are no large planes going to the smaller islands. Now we're leaning toward flying instead of the ferry.

Windsordave and 7milesailing-Thank you so much for the detailed flight information. That's good to know that the connections through Nassau aren't very convenient. I've heard that a lot about Miami...so perhaps I can try for FLL.

Regarding cost of everything in Exumas, can anyone compare it to Turks and Caicos? That is supposed to be one of the more expensive Caribbean destinations. Just surprised about the golf rental cost, because in TCI you can rent a car for less than that per day!

Also, I'm curious about how boat rentals on Great Exuma. Is that the norm? Can the boat rental replace a car rental? And if we rent a house on say, Tar Bay, can we keep the boat there, or would the house require a slip? And can any adult rent a boat? My husband and I do not have a lot of boating experience (Well, it's mostly limited to running a nuclear submarine!), but I'm sure he'll be interested if that's the norm, to rent a boat. Anyway, thank you all very much. I'm getting really excited. I've looked at some of the other islands, but something about Great Exuma is just really appealing. We loved Provo, and are looking for something with the same caliber of water and beach, but a bit less built-up. (and cheaper flights and accommodations!)

8. Re: Easiest Bahamian island to reach from Philly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2010, 06:17