We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for wife and daughter finding best choice

chicago
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help for wife and daughter finding best choice

Hello! my wife and 14 year old daughter are looking to visit the Bahamas for a vacation over Xmas (my son, a high school swimmer, has to swim over our Xmas break and I get to stay home with him!). they are looking for a safe place with lots to do, nice place (we are not price sensitive), they like to snorkel and be active plus lots of beach time. There are so many islands and so many options, I don't know if a large place or small place, all inclusive or not, and big island or small is the best choice. safety, quality and variety of things to do is critical. any help would be welcomed!

chicago
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for wife and daughter finding best choice

follow up, they don't want the Atlantis, it seems too much like the wisconsin dells.

bahamas
Level Contributor
279 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for wife and daughter finding best choice

Long Island, Eleuthera and Exuma come to mind. Lots to do water and beach wise as they are good sized islands. The Family Islands as a whole are very safe. Long Island has snorkeling, kayaking, fishing, lots of long and empty beaches, caves, blue holes. Rent a car and see it all, you can definately fill up a week. It is a quiet island, but there are restaurants, groceries, etc. Beach Bungalows might be a good place to check into. Near a restaurant for convenience, across the street from a beach with water sports gear. Other places listed on FlipKey for rentals. Not much personal experience on the other Cays. Good Luck!

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for wife and daughter finding best choice

My only experience is of Cat Island but, based on that (and sailing travels in the South Pacific), I believe the Out Islands are wonderfully safe. There is a bit of logic to it: On small, relatively undeveloped, islands with not very many people, everybody knows everybody and what's going on. Bad guys, thieves and violent ones, stick out like sore thumbs and cannot be tolerated. And anyway, they will want to go elsewhere to where the action is and the pickings are better. To me, the test is this: Do I feel completely safe swimming and spending time on a tiny beach that has no other people anywhere nearby? Cat Island certainly passes that test with flying colors. On the other hand, if your wife and daughter are dedicated First Worlders and need all the flashy stuff around them and other people to provide them entertainment, then they might prefer the kind of place I've been generally avoiding for my vacations. Best Regards, Ralph

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for wife and daughter finding best choice

I second Ralph's recommendation of Cat Island for a truly safe "other" world experience. The people are friendly, the beaches are great and there is nothing much to do over the holidays except swim and eat!!! I prefer the north end of the island around Arthur's Town or Shanna Cove--nice resort style motels up there. In AT, stay at Boggy Pond with Helen and Zandra as your hosts. Short walks to all that AT offers. New owners have taken over Pompei Rock, now Hanover (I think). Sooner and her husband and staffer/chef Tall Teddy go over expectations to make your visit just what you want and they have a great beach.

Up South on the Cat, Fernandez Bay.

exuma
Level Contributor
298 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for wife and daughter finding best choice

The main out islands, Eleuthera, Cat and Exuma, are all long thin islands, and in most cases the beaches are not long continuous stretches, they are individual bays with soft sand and the beautiful blue waters, usually a few hundred yards to maybe a half mile wide, making them picturesque and private.

So to enjoy the various beaches on any of the islands you really need to rent a car.

I personally recommend a mum and young daughter stay at one of the vacation rentals with a family for peace of mind.

6. Re: Help for wife and daughter finding best choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2013, 10:16