We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to the Bahamas. Which Island?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
New to the Bahamas. Which Island?

My bestie and I are planning our first trip to the Bahamas. We are interested in snorkeling, great (preferably calm) beaches, absorbing local culture, meeting locals and exploring independently. We are both travelled extensively throughout the Caribbean. Which is the best island to visit?

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to the Bahamas. Which Island?

any of the Out Islands would work. Our favorites are Eleuthera and Long Island so far. Also take a look at Cat Island.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to the Bahamas. Which Island?

Thank you. How do these islands compare to the big islands like Nassau or Grand Bahamas?

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to the Bahamas. Which Island?

Remote, laid back, no traffic, no noise, friendly people but also less infrastructure. It takes a bit more planning and effort to get to them but it's well worth it for us. I got a book on the Bahamas and read about each island before deciding on Eleuthera for our honeymoon. That might help you decide.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New to the Bahamas. Which Island?

A travel book I highly recommend that was very useful before my first visit is Frommer's Bahamas with complete coverage of the Out Islands.

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: New to the Bahamas. Which Island?

Don't take Jungledriver's comment to mean that we are overly primitive. We have cell phones, internet and all that good stuff. But it's correct that you won't find traffic, or crowds, or many of the negative side of the larger, more populated islands.

Long Island has miles of beaches where it would be unusual to see another person. There are nice homes and villas to rent, so that you can cook for yourselves when you don't feel like going out, or some small resorts if you don't need to cook, and there are still enough restaurants which give you that Out Island dining experience. Long Island would require a car rental for your stay unless you stay in a resort, or if you want to see the island, as it's long and narrow with everything strung out along the entire length.

Andros
Level Contributor
84 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to the Bahamas. Which Island?

Well that's a 700 island question! You will need to narrow down your list a bit since all the islands fit the bill right now. Are you looking for nightlife? Shops? Or are you looking for authentic Bahamas and local culture?

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to the Bahamas. Which Island?

I don't think my comment implied anything negative at all. What I mean by infrastructure is traffic lights, rd signs, street lights, hospitals, emergency services, public transportation, etc. I think you'll find most people who have been to several Out Islands agree with me on that. For some people those things are important and it's important to know what to expect on your first trip.

Edited: 30 April 2013, 14:39
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,746 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to the Bahamas. Which Island?

I would suggest checking out the Abacos. Rent a small cc boat and explore at least 5 different islands. Snorkel pristine reefs in 2 marine parks. Have luch at a different island everyday. Each view will seem more awesome than the last! Unplug. Walk long wide WHITE beaches without encountering another soul. Eat fresh seafood every day...........abacoforum.com has endless info on these addictive islands! (Elbow Cay, Great Guana Cay, Treasure Cay, ManOWar, Marsh Harbour, Little Harbour, Lubber's Landing)

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New to the Bahamas. Which Island?

Google some images of Hope Town online - it's amazing!

10. Re: New to the Bahamas. Which Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 06:19