We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Out Island?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
237 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Best Out Island?

I am looking for an area that is minimally touristy but has local restaurants and moderate accommodations. A mix of quiet beach and snorkeling areas would be good also. Some wildlife would be good also. This is a 4 to 5 day stay. We are a couple with no children. I have not been to the Bahamas before. I do have other previous Caribbean experience: Aruba, Belize, and Cozumel. Thank you.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Out Island?

It sounds as if Abaco or Eleuthera might fit your needs. Each island has its own flavour and activities, so no one is "best", but rather on what you want out of your vacation. Both Abaco and Eleuthera have direct flights from the US (Florida) if you are looking to avoid the change in Nassau. Eleuthera is served each day by a fast ferry from Nassau also if you don't want to deal with the small planes.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,326 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Out Island?

The Bahamas Ferry is a nice ride to Eleuthera but be advised it is a 3 hour ride each way vs. a short airline ride from Florida.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Out Island?

You could also take the direct flight from Atlanta on Delta to Great Exuma. For wildlife, you could do one of the tours up to the cays where you'll find swimming pigs, rock iguana and nurse sharks with a stop at Thunderball Grotto for snorkeling. With just a few days I would try to mimimize travel time for sure. Delta only flies this route Wednesdays and Sundays and it's best to purchase the tix as early as possible. I watched this fare go up about $15 every other week when I was researching for a trip there. The fare is around $500 pp.

4. Re: Best Out Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 05:17