We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather nassau

5 posts
Save Topic
weather nassau

Going to breezes in mid september what is the weather like and do they get many hurricanes thank you

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: weather nassau

The weather is great in September - it's a good time to come!

They don't get many hurricanes. If they do, which is unlikely to happen, then you have a lot of warning from the weather companies as to where the storm is, and the hotel will make sure you are safe or help you to leave early. Hurricanes are a lot easier to deal with than tornadoes or earthquakes - neither of which take place in The Bahamas!

Happy Planning!

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather nassau

We got hit with Sandy last year, and other storms as well in recent past. It's not true that this rarely happens, it happens often enough for it to be an issue. If you travel during the Late August - End of Oct, get travel insurance that includes hurricanes.

Sandy may not have been a monster storm when it hit Nassau, but it certainly made traveling a problem.

Airports close and hotels do what they can to protect guests.

As I remember, we've had hurricanes in 04,05, 06, 08, 10, 11 and 12.

Edited: 26 June 2013, 15:56
here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather nassau

BTW, we DO have tornadoes and waterspouts. (tornadoes on the water).

Check out this you tube video from last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7zclBXN4Ko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa8f-01UwjM

Not trying to scare anyone. But I hate seeing wrong information being posted.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: weather nassau

That's great scubagirl - thanks for the heads up!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: weather nassau

Forgot to say - the youtubes are impressive too! The HI one is cool looking because it looks like it's over land but actually is on the ocean side. The stadium one, it's definitely over land! Did it touch down?

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather nassau

There was one on Green Turtle Cay last month as well and did damage some homes.

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: weather nassau

The first two weeks of September is the historical peak of the Atlantic Basin hurricane season. That fact guarantees nothing...could be a storm(s) brewing near the Bahamas or no where near the Bahamas. The Atlantic Basin (including the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea) is pretty big. So there are no guarantees no matter how you slice it. All the weather "experts", including NOAA and the NHC predict an above average season. Despite a previous post, the Bahamas has seen several strikes and close calls the past few years...probably more than Florida has seen in recent years. The odds are in your favor, but always a good idea that time of year to think about trip insurance. Without any tropical systems...expect temps in the low to mid 90's, high humidity, and a daily 30-60% chance of thunderstorms. Ocean temps in the upper 80's, and UVA/UVB index in the 10+ (extreme) range. Keep an eye on the hurricane forecasts, but don't forget about the sunscreen, and watching out for the lightening.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,264 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: weather nassau

The previous post responding to what's the weather like in Sept. in the Bahamas stated:

"Without any tropical systems...expect temps in the low to mid 90's, high humidity, and a daily 30-60% chance of thunderstorms".

Some people, myself included, would not call those conditions "great weather". To each his own, but if you are uncomfortable with high humidity as I am along with many other older travelers, I do not visit the Bahamas in September nor do I recommend anyone visit then either.

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather nassau

Without the threat of storms, I love mid September leading into October. (heck I love the whole month).

Evenings are starting to cool after the 1st week... and there's more of a breeze than in the dead of summer like July and August. Thunderstorms come and go.. never really been bothered by them and rarely a wash out.

10. Re: weather nassau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 06:20