We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in the Bahamas

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
21 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in the Bahamas

We are sailing that Abaco's Island this coming July, leaving out of Marsh Harbor. We'd like to come a few days early, but not really sure where/what island. I guess it would be most cost effective to stay near Marsh Harbor unless it's cheaper to fly into another island and then ferry to Marsh Harbor -- if that's even a choice. Don't want to spend more than $100 a night - and would like less. Will be flying from Baltimore or Fort Lauderdale. Any suggestions?

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in the Bahamas

I think most people chartering boats from Marsh Harbour stay at hotels in Marsh Harbour before or after their cruise. Staying before, they can spend some time exploring and provisioning. Staying after they can spend time exploring, and hit any place that they wanted to go, but didn't get to while cruising (like Treasure Cay or Green Turtle to the North or Pete's Pub to the south). The Lofty Fig is pretty popular. I don't know how much it costs, but I'm thinking there aren't any hotels that are less than 100/night in the Abacos.

From Baltimore, you can probably fly to Nassau on New Providence or Freeport on Grand Bahama Island. You could explore these more populated islands. For under 100/night, you might find a very basic room. But to get to Marsh Harbour from either island, you'll need to fly, or take a very long taxi ride ($100+) in addition to a long ferry ride. The ferry comes in at the extreme North end or the extreme South end of the Abacos with Marsh Harbour in the middle (although I'm not sure if the ferry from Nassau to Sandy Point is still in operation). Flying will cost less.

If you fly into Fort Lauderdale, you could spend d a few days there. That's the only place where you can find a nice hotel room for under 100/night in the summer. The beach is very nice; there are plenty of restaurant choices; and in July, it won't be too crowded. Otherwise, I'd just go for the Lofty Fig or the Conch Inn in Marsh Harbour. Spend some extra time in Maxwell's and Bristol doing your provisioning and spend a little less on meals and drinks during your cruise. That way it will all even out.

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
21 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in the Bahamas

Thanks so much, thats the info i was looking for.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in the Bahamas

If you're in Marsh Harbour for a few days, before or after your charter, you might like to go see the Blue Hole.

For your before or after stay, you're not limited by choices of where to stay so much, because the ferries make the islands quite easy to visit e.g. if you stayed in Treasure Cay, you can ferry out to Green Turtle... or arrive in Marsh Harbour and take the ferry over & go sleep on Hope Town for a few nights.

You might want to work it around staying somewhere you won't be exploring so much on your charter, and IMHO you can never go wrong with a few extra nights in Hope Town...

As for your budget -. Treasure Cay Beach & Golf Club is showing rooms for $135 a night on those dates on Expedia, and Elbow Cay Rentals has a few smaller more affordable properties e.g. Conchshellet or Daisy's Place www.elbowcayrentals.com/scripts/house.php3…

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in the Bahamas

Perhaps you've booked your air already and/or already know that AirTran does direct (and often affordable) flights from BWI to NAS. Then you can fly from NAS to MHH for about $170 RT.

If you come through Nassau, it might just be the place for you to visit for a few days... :)

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
21 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in the Bahamas

Haven't booked flights yet, will check into that! thanks

6. Re: Where to stay in the Bahamas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:19