We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Bahamas

Mount Isa, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Bahamas

We are looking to travel to the Bahamas for the first time in March 2014. Our main focus will be on diving and chillaxing. I like the look of Compass Point Resort in Nassau or Bimini Sands Beach Resort, as both offer packages with diving. Can anyone offer comments on the diving in these areas and if the locations are good. We aren't looking for a high rise massive resort style holiday that is hectic and busy, hence my choice of the two resorts

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Bahamas

Hi littleflippers - Welcome to The Bahamas' Forums!

Glad to hear you are thinking of coming this way :) Compass Point Resort is a cool property as it's perched on the sea and has a nice tropical feeling. The way it can disappoint is its beach, or lack of beach, so if that's a priority for you you might stay somewhere else e.g. for right on the beach you might look at the Paradise Island Beach Club. http://www.mypibc.com/

With regards to the diving package - how much is it? is it a significant savings as the package vs just pricing the hotel and dives separately?

If it's not a huge savings, I'd say book your lodging and dives separately, and if you're planning multiple dives even email the dive companies directly and ask for a discount or a package. There are 2 main ones here - Bahama Divers & Stuart Cove. SC gets more 'press' but BD has some good things going on as well. You might also like doing dives with both of them as their sites are at completely different ends of the island.

Have Fun Chillaxing!

Edited: 09 December 2013, 15:51
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Bahamas

You can also 'chillax' more on some of the other islands...

Andros? - http://www.smallhope.com/

Or what about this? This would be my first choice, going by your description... Stay here http://www.hopetownlodge.com/ and dive here http://www.divefroggiesabaco.com/

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Bahamas

Just a heads up since you mentioned diving......

Being that you will be going in Mar, I would AVOID a dive operation that is based on the NW-NE-East east side of any island which would rule out Bahama Divers, all of Andros, and (probably) the one on Abaco. The wind that time of year is usually from that direction and can be strong and you might be out of luck diving for many days on end.

I learned this the hard way last year :-(

Go with Stuart cove as they are on the SW side (leeward) side of the island.

Edited: 09 December 2013, 17:43
Mount Isa, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Bahamas

Thanks for the heads up on the possible weather conditions. I have been speaking to one of the operators about packages etc and they did not mention the wind, only clear visibility at that time of year. I will check out the resorts you guys have mentioned. Would a live aboard dive operation be better? Only looks like there are a couple of operators in the Bahamas to choose from

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Bahamas

@papafox - just to differ... :)

I think I'd describe SC as definitely diving on the NW side of the island, and much more exposed to the ocean. Even without any wind, the swells can be quite something out there.

The prevailing winds (all year) are mostly out of the East. In March, or the rest of the year, there are lots of areas to the E and NE that are going to be fine - due to the protection of the various islands in the chain between Paradise and Rose.

Also, basically all of the snorkel excursion companies operating out of Nassau (the cruise ship cattlemarans, Flying Cloud, Barefoot Sailing, Sandy Toes) still go out almost every day, regardless of the wind direction - because of the protection of this chain.

But, sorry about your learning the hard way, and hope you don't get one of those rolling off the swells dives that I've had at SC before...!!!

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Bahamas

Papafox is correct about the Stuart Cove dive sites. There's a dive site map on their website and only a few of them are to the NW. They're mainly to the S and SW. Went there in early April about 10 years ago, and never went to the NW sites. Diving in Abaco in the winter is definitely hit or miss. The dive sites are all open to the Atlantic, so any strong wind from the NE, E or SE will stir it up, and it can take days to calm down again. The only good diving conditions occur before a cold front as the wind clocks to the SW, W, NW. The cold front will prevent diving for at least a few days once it comes through, and the clocking winds before it are sometimes only at night, and there's no night diving offered in the Abacos.

Mount Isa, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Bahamas

thanks for all the advice but now more confused- will have to think about it and make a decision soon.

8. Re: First time to Bahamas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 05:17