We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What songs most remind you of the Bahamas?

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What songs most remind you of the Bahamas?

As for myself, this one does..........VIVIDLY!!

("Sailing" by Christopher Cross)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMkIuKXwmlU

When I hear this tune, I envision sailing across the Yellow Bank (15 mi SE of Nassau), Bight of Ackilns, or Exumas Sound where the water is around 5 to 8 ft deep in every direction as far as the eyes can see, giving it that PERFECT shade of endless blue with scattered coral heads here and there to make it interesting!

In fact, I'm going to use this very song in one of my videos when I take a boat in the Bight of Acklins later on in July.

So how about you? What songs most remind you of the Bahamas??

Edited: 02 June 2014, 20:27
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What songs most remind you of the Bahamas?

Biggest Box by K.B. only because it was our first foray into Bahamian music on our first trip. The house we rented (Oceanaire on Eleuthera) had one of the Best of the Best volumes and we wore that cd out!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What songs most remind you of the Bahamas?

Paradise by Roman. A great song that really reminds me of the beautiful island and generous people.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What songs most remind you of the Bahamas?

"who let the dogs out" by baha men.. LOL... sorry couldn't resist .. ;p

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What songs most remind you of the Bahamas?

Thats one of my favs back in the day - CC Sailing! But we need to update your songlist a bit Mr. Fox. Try this one "The Ocean" by 'Barefoot Truth'! Nothing like passing the last channel marker - setting the sails for a broad reach to the horizon, and hearing that song!!!

Great Exuma
Level Contributor
276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What songs most remind you of the Bahamas?

Island in the sun by Harry Belafonte

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What songs most remind you of the Bahamas?

Anything by the Brilanders or Ancient Man. Not that you'll hear those on the radio in the US. But sitting at the bars and restaurants in the Bahamas, we've heard them very often.

Since we've always been power boaters, "Sailing" never really did it for us. Before we left NY on our boat for Florida and the Bahamas, we kept our boat at a marina that was frequented by NYC and LI boaters. One afternoon, a large express cruiser came in for the weekend. They had "Sailing" on an endless loop, and after docking, they played it for an hour while they relaxed with cocktails. I guess it really worked for them. It was better than listening to a previous boater who did the same with "My heart will go on" by Celine Dion. Sorry, but any songs related to sinking boats are not welcome at marinas.

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What songs most remind you of the Bahamas?

I just realized that I posted the wrong link for the recorded version of that song.

Here is the right one.

youtube.com/watch?v=7khQNR7s1Ho

Great song of course, but at 2:59 in the video, I just HATE the photo with snow and the northern lights as it feels like "nails on the chalkboard" being so out of place from what I envision the song should be!! LOL

Its no accident that I used this song in my video when I took the boat from Staniel Cay to the Scrub Cays and back!

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What songs most remind you of the Bahamas?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll check them out

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What songs most remind you of the Bahamas?

Two more! Eleutheria - by Lenny Kravitz

The Sound of Sunshine - Michael Franti

Edited: 23 May 2015, 18:38
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
503 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What songs most remind you of the Bahamas?

instantly reminds me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sngI0gGHSZ4

Don't ask... And Say goodbye to Hollywood.