We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zoo

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Zoo

Has anyone been to the zoo in Nassau? Would you recommend it?

Thanks!

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zoo

We were there last year. It's small and not like any I've been to in the states, but I think it's worth seeing. There are animals there I haven't seen before. Also, if you're not a bird-a-phobic, you can go in the atrium and have the birds land on you and feed from your hands. It wasn't for me, but the others in our group enjoyed it. The gardens are worth seeing too. They could really use your contributions, too. Do this when planning to be downtown, as it will only take you an hour to an hour and a half.

Saint Louis Park...
Level Contributor
118 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zoo

I don't know which zoo you are referring to, but if you are referring to Ardastra Gardens, I would AVOID it!

I was there two months ago, and I thought the grounds were very run down and overgrown. The birds share cages with iguanas and lizards; I saw an iguana with bird excrement on its back.

Ardastra Gardens has a "show" where "trained flamingoes march", but the "show" consisted of a bad actor in a dictator suit screaming at a group of bored flamingoes.

Oh yes, and it costs $15 / person to enter. I thought Ardastra Gardens was the biggest tourist trap I've seen in a long time!

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zoo

Yes, the zoo needs some attention. The trees need trimming, the gardens need weeding ect., but unless it's changed A LOT since we were there last, no species with a conflicting attitude were housed together. It was much lovelier before the hurricane hit a few years ago. They desperately need financial help, which is where you, the tourist that thinks nothing of spending that same $15.00 for junk in the straw market or a few extra beers comes into the picture. Give these animals a couple more meals and medical attention by donating a few bucks and walk the grounds while you're there.

4. Re: Zoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 03:18