We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do I need to plan around cruise crowds in July/Aug?

Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
do I need to plan around cruise crowds in July/Aug?

We'll be coming to the Bahamas July 27 - August 3, staying at the Westwind II in Cable Beach.

Two of the days we're there, there's only one cruise ship in port (although one is a Disney cruise). But one day there are five, and another day, six!

I have traveled to the Caribbean several times at this time of year, and it's generally less crowded then anyway. But those other islands don't get quite as many cruise ships. Will I need to plan my activities around the ships, and if so, which types of activities would I need to keep in mind? For example, we're planning to go to Blue Lagoon, visit the pirate museum and other places in Nassau, do a Segway tour, go snorkleing, and possibly go to Rose Island. At other times, we'll be hanging out at Cable Beach, with the kids going parasailing one day. (Wow, I feel so poor after typing all that!) I know that Blue Lagoon restricts how many people can go, but other places don't have that limit. We'd like to avoid big crowds if possible.

Thanks!

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do I need to plan around cruise crowds in July/Aug?

I would avoid blue lagoon when there are too many ships in for the day.. unless they are in for just a few hours.. some leave at 1pm..

Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do I need to plan around cruise crowds in July/Aug?

Thanks. I also get the feeling that hanging out on Cable Beach on those days might not be the best idea...we're right next to the Sheraton, and a lot of people seem to buy those day passes!

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: do I need to plan around cruise crowds in July/Aug?

Ummm no. Sheraton on Cable Beach does not get a lot of day pass business from the cruisers. Some??? Yes. But not any number to overwhelm the property. ALso, way too early to rely on cruise schedules two months in advance. Cruise ports of call change all the time, due to cancelled cruises, weather, and mechanical issues. Downtown is crowded when a bunch of ships are in port...and I get a personal kick watching the cruisers walk around, but places like the Pirates Museum, do not get crowded. The guys that rent scooters love it, but that's another issue.

Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do I need to plan around cruise crowds in July/Aug?

LOL. Thanks for the info. I'll check the cruise schedule again just before we go.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do I need to plan around cruise crowds in July/Aug?

In Cable Beach, you really won't be affected much by the cruise ship crowds. The areas downtown and Atlantis are usually the places many cruise visitors go, and with 5 or 6 ships in port, it can get crowded. That said, Atlantis does limit the number of day passes it sells, but it is still crowded all the same. If I were you, I'ld look iinto visiting downtown when there are fewer ships in port. Have a look around, go to the straw market, Pirates Museum, shops on Bay Street, and then take a water taxi over to Atlantis if you want to walk around a bit. It's also an easy way to get over to Paradise Island for the ferry over to Blue Lagoon Island.

Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do I need to plan around cruise crowds in July/Aug?

Thanks!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do I need to plan around cruise crowds in July/Aug?

Can you share the best URL to check cruises that will be in port? The one I've been checking seems to be more of a 'general schedule' that doesn't seem to get updated to actual plan.

Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: do I need to plan around cruise crowds in July/Aug?

This is the one I used, based on comments from other travelers: …cruisett.com/schedule/Bahamas/455-Nassau

I don't know if it gets updated that week or not, if cruises change itineraries. Perhaps someone else can answer that question.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: do I need to plan around cruise crowds in July/Aug?

Great...this is much more updated than the site I was using previously. Thanks liheathen!

10. Re: do I need to plan around cruise crowds in July/Aug?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 05:16