We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can we snorkel on our own?

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where can we snorkel on our own?

We'll be arriving on a cruise ship and will be in Nassau for about 8 hours on 6/30. To save money my friend wants us to pack snorkeling gear from home (I'm assuming you'd also be able to rent gear on the beach) and just take a taxi somewhere to snorkel. Are there any locations where we can do that and see a variety of fish/reefs that would be accessible from the beach? Do the beaches have at least an outhouse for bathroom facilities? Thanks for your prompt response.

Ashburn, VA
Level Contributor
590 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can we snorkel on our own?

There are really no good places to snorkel from the beach areas you would have access to. It's pretty easy to take the #10 bus (for $1) or a taxi from the dock area and go to the Wyndham/Sheraton on Cable Beach. There is a guy there with a boat that will take you out to a decent spot for about $30-40 bucks, depending on how busy he is and the deal you make.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can we snorkel on our own?

If you are going to do something like this, do it right. See if you can book a 1/2 day with Stuart Cove's. Great value at around $55. They have a website.

Ashburn, VA
Level Contributor
590 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can we snorkel on our own?

Flying Cloud is good as well and closer to the port. I thought you might want the 'adventure' of doing something a little unusual. Certainly Stuart Cove is an excellent choice too.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can we snorkel on our own?

Flying Cloud is awesome. We just did it and loved it.

There is snorkeling right off the beach at Cable by Wyndam, but it is not much. You will see a little, but like others have said, you really need to go in the boat if you want to see a lot.

We saw a ton of different fish on Flying cloud and some of the prettiest coral I have seen in a long time.

5. Re: Where can we snorkel on our own?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 00:19
Get answers to your questions about Nassau