We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice hotel for someone traveling alone to Nassau......

USA
Level Contributor
313 posts
Save Topic
Nice hotel for someone traveling alone to Nassau......

My girlfriends and I have been planning this trip, but everyone is dropping like flies now; relocating, new job and so on. Any recommendations for a nice, adult oriented hotel? I'm looking for a place that isn't too crowded, but at least has a few activities or entertainment on site or nearby, and a good location. I don't want to take a taxi everywhere; especially if I end up going alone. We were looking at going in early October. Not sure how the crowds are that time of year.

I hope everyone's doing well. We were rained out in Miami by hurricane Dennis. I voted for the Bahamas, but they wouldn't listen. I'm 'lovin this heat wave in Ohio!! Now all we need are a few palm trees and a couple pink flamingos. Thanks all!

Maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice hotel for someone traveling alone to Nassau......

I suggest you consider The Radisson hotel on Cable Beach near Nassau, plenty of restruants nearby and a bus goes by the front door every 15 minutes to take you down town.

They have 3 beautifully landscaped pools ad a big beach. all rooms are ocean front. check out www.radissoncableeach.com

USA
Level Contributor
313 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice hotel for someone traveling alone to Nassau......

Thank you Want2bnbahamas. We had debated about the Radisson before, but someone in our group heard it was more of a family oriented resort. Not sure if that's an accurate description. I've read pretty good reviews about them and I've been on their site. It looks very nice; I just don't want to be surrounded by a lot of children or noise. Looking for a laid back vacation this time. Would you recommend it for someone traveling alone? Thanks!!

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice hotel for someone traveling alone to Nassau......

Sevenwonders,

You have a bit of a dilemna. If you are looking for a place with activities and things to do at nite, and entertainment if you are alone, then the strip at Cable Beach, or the area around Atlantis would be my recommendation. HOWEVER, because these places are the center of entertainment, they are also the most crowded, noisy and more family (kids) oriented.

If you are looking for quiet, no kids to speak of, no drinking games and loud music while you relax, you might look into the British Colonial Hilton. (but I must say, it may be too quiet).

The BCH is downtown, and right in the middle of everything. (the property is private, so you don't even know you are downtown til you walk out the doors.

Theres' a Senor Frogs next door, plenty of restaurants nearbvy, nitely entertainment (same band nitely) a jazz club upstairs, and access to all the daytime tours. The clientel is mainly business people, or those looking to chill out without the "resort" atmosphere.

Keep in mind, tours and activites outside the hotel properties are usually independent, and available at ALL hotels. So you can snorkel, dive, tour, go to the zoo, check out the forts and historic sites etc., no matter where you stay.

The Radisson is not a bad choice, it's just that it's a busy resort, with plenty of families mixed with couples, singles and some who like to party. It's a typical "resort".

USA
Level Contributor
313 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice hotel for someone traveling alone to Nassau......

Thanks Scubagirl. I thought about the Hilton. My only concern with them is many of their guests are mainly there on business, like you said. If I'm alone I don't want to have a ton of drink offers and everything else in between. I guess it is a bit of a dilema. I don't want to be bored, but I don't want chaos either. I remember you mentioned before that the Hilton is one of your favorite hotels. Would you still recommend it for a female traveling alone? I know I'll have a great time, but above all, I want to feel comfortable when I'm relaxing at the hotel too. The location sounds great. Thanks for all the info.

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice hotel for someone traveling alone to Nassau......

I highly recommend the Hilton for a female traveling alone.

I had done this for YEARS.. every few months.. (now I own a home, so I don't have to stay in a hotel)

The staff is very friendly and professional. You can "confide" in your concierge that you are traveling alone, and he'll make arrangements for dinner, or tours or whatever.

The bar is not a pick up place, so you won't feel uncomfortable.

The elevator needs a key card to enter, so you don't have people roaming the halls.. Security is great. If you are leary, staff will even walk you to your room and see that you are safely inside.

USA
Level Contributor
313 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice hotel for someone traveling alone to Nassau......

Thanks again!! That's nice to know they don't allow anyone to wander around on the floors. I have one more question. Do you know if the Hilton is near Cafe Matisse, Sun and.... or Chez Willie's? I'm trying to figure out how many places I'll need to take a taxi to. I know I can always catch the ferry over to Atlantis. I plan on going to a couple really nice restaurants. Other than that, I'll probably eat at some more affordable places nearby. Are most of the local restaurants in the downtown area by the Hilton or near Cable Beach?

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice hotel for someone traveling alone to Nassau......

From the Hilton, you can walk to Cafe Matisse and Chez Willie's. They are only 2-3 blocks away. Don't wander around at nite, but you could walk with another couple coming home, or ask to get a cab, they are readily available.

Chez Willie is on the main road, you will have no trouble walking in either direction.

You'll need a cab to and from Sun and.. as it's not in the tourist area. But worth the trip.

Other restaurants within walking distance is Conch Fritters, Athena Greek, El Greco's, and of course, all the local spots at the FishFry at Arawak Cay.

Jitney buses end around 7pm, so you could take a bus to Cable Beach early for dinner and a cab back. Cafe johnny Canoes would be a treat, as well as Kafe Kalik. (both Casual and Friendly)

USA
Level Contributor
313 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice hotel for someone traveling alone to Nassau......

Thank you very much for all the great info. and tips. Looking forward to a little R & R.

CARROLLTON, GA
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice hotel for someone traveling alone to Nassau......

sevenwonders, we stayed at the Hilton for 12 days in July and I think you would feel safe and enjoy the stay. Lots of young people, I am 50 so they are young to me around pool. Easy walk to shopping and the club there was rocking when we came back from dinner on Friday nights. We had access to the executive level so we had breakfast and evening drinks there. You can walk to the ferry port to Atlantis during the day or as another post said you can go to senor frogs without going on the street. From the pool area you just follow side walk and enter from back entrance. I enjoyed a message at the spa while husband and son were diving. I walked around by myself during the day and we walked to the Pasta Market. Just up from Chez. Really good pasta and fairly reasonable. Not a lot kids. Across the street is a dinky little take out place but everyone including the business travelers all said food was good. Then name is the Imperial. Best hamburger for only 3.00 and a great fish sandwhich. We got food to go and ate in our room as we tired from diving. Stuart Cove great group to go on a snorkel trip or if you dive they are great for diving. Concerige was great and helped us several times. Write back if you have any other questions and enjoy you stay. Don't miss straw market it is a trip like no other.

USA
Level Contributor
313 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice hotel for someone traveling alone to Nassau......

Thank you Ms. Mermaid. It seems like we've been planning this trip forever. I think I've come up with every possible question I could think of over the past few months. If I think of anything else, I'll drop you a line. Thanks for the offer.

This is, by far, one of the best forums I've participated in. The feedback, info. and advice are incredible, the atmosphere is pleasant, and the people are great!! Thanks everyone and enjoy the rest of your summer. Be safe!!

Seven.....

Get answers to your questions about Nassau