We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach for one day??

florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Best beach for one day??

We will be arriving into Nassau on a cruise ship and will have about 12 hours, one entire Saturday ashore in Nassau, can anyone suggest their favorite beach to us, we want to just catch a cab and have him drop us off at a beautiful beach so we can lay in the sun and swim in the blue/green water all day before boarding the ship again, any personal favorites for us to spend a relaxing day.........frolicking in the sea??

Many thanks

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach for one day??

Fortunately, all the beaches in the Bahamas are free and public. Unfortunately, most of the best beaches are not easy to gain access to because the resorts have made it that way. You can go to the public beach just west of downtown. It's a short taxi ride away from port. This beach is mostly used by the locals and the last time we took a long walk and walked past the beach, the public restrooms were awful.

You can buy day passes to the British Colonial Hilton (cheapest) and you'll have use of their facilities. You can walk to the Hilton from port. Just go to Bay Street, the main shopping street and turn right, or west and walk just a few blocks. It's just past the straw market and anyone will be able to direct you.

For more money, you can buy a day pass to a Cable Beach Resort and take a taxi. This is a much nicer beach, but you'll pay for a pass that lets you use the bathroom facilities, pool, have lunch and drinks and have access to the beautiful beach.

Hope this helps.

florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach for one day??

Have read many good things about Cabbage Beach, is it one we could taxi cab to after we come ashore from the ship? Is it better than Cable Beach where most of the resorts are located? I do not mind spending $20-$30 on cabs to get to a nice and more pristine, calm, clear swimming beach.....what do you think?

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach for one day??

Cabbage Beach is on Paradise Island and that's the same beach we go to. You will have to take a taxi and have a dollar ready for the bridge toll (one way, onto P.I. You'll need to tell the driver to take you to the public access. I'm sending you a private message.

florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach for one day??

Is there anyone or anyplace along Cabbage Beach that we can rent beach chairs from for the day?

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach for one day??

Yup, right at the public beach access.

florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach for one day??

Perfect plan, then Cabbage Bch it is for the day! What is your estimate on taxi cost to and from Cabbage from where the cruise ship comes in, just curious so I know about what to expect?

Deb

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beach for one day??

Cabbage beach is my prefered beach in the nassau/ PI area. However, keep in mind there are no public restrooms or facilities. Any restaurants, bars, or public access to hotels are a bit of a hike from the beach.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,474 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beach for one day??

I noticed that one criteria in choosing a beach is calm waters. Depending on the season and weather conditions, Cabbage Beach is not always, (not usually) calm waters.

In fact, they sometimes have to close the beach because of surf conditions.

If that is the case, Cable Beach (using a day pass at the Wynhdam) would be a better bet for relaxing and "frolicking in the sea".

If you have little ones, Cabbage Beach is not the place to let them play by the shores edge.

YOu can take a cab to Wyndham, for about $20 or take the #10 jitney for $1.25 pp.

florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beach for one day??

How much do you think a day pass is at the Wyndham?

In the Cays
Level Contributor
499 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best beach for one day??

One more suggestion that fits your criteria. Go to Blue Lagoon Island for the day. You can take a taxi to the Dolphin Encounters ticket window on Paradise Island (ten minute cab ride - same as Cabbage Beach) get on their ferry to Blue Lagoon Island. The ride to the island is nice, the beach is lovely, uncrowded, the water is calm in the lagoon even if it is rough everywhere else. There is a bar, food, restrooms, nice hammocks to laze in - perfect for a relaxing day frolicking in the sea. You can also walk over and look at the dolphins and sea lions. I just did this with a group of people and had a wonderful time. They have several ferry rides back and if a group of people came from your ship to visit the dolphins chances are you can get a ferry right back to your ship - ask if you decide to go about that.

Just another suggestion. Their website is www.dolphinencounters.com I had to email them to book it though.

Have a great trip!