We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how long will it take to get through customs?

Arizona
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
how long will it take to get through customs?

I am planning my trip for September to Breezes Resort and I wondering how long to allow for the return trip back to the airport? I read somewhere to allow three hours....is that true? If my flight home is scheduled to depart at 1:45 pm, I should leave the resort at 10:45 am,....does that sound right?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how long will it take to get through customs?

Hi.

just got home today. Our flight was at 7:15am.. we left our hotel at 5:0am. We had about 3min. to spare before boarding the plane. customs does take forever... well.. it seemed liked forever. I am sure it might be even more crazy for you... most people fly out later in the day then the first flight!

Enjoy the trip! ours was amazing!!

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4,344 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how long will it take to get through customs?

It's always different we flew to Canada so less strict it only took us 10 mins at 1pm. The longest part was getting our boarding pass from there we just walked through detector and into waiting area.

Orillia, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Nassau, Nassau
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how long will it take to get through customs?

The difference between US and Canadian departures is that the US customs is done in Nassau, hence the lengthy time required and yes it can take up to 2 1/2 hours or more.

On the other hand Canadians nearly always have direct flights back to Canada and go through customs when they arrive at their destination.

Edited: 16 April 2010, 10:25
Stevens...
Level Contributor
990 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how long will it take to get through customs?

It depends on what day of the week you are leaving. The airport is busier some days than others. When we leave Breezes we usually allow the 3 hours. It is only 15 minutes to get to the airport in normal traffic, but.......... then some airlines are busier than others. better to be safe than miss the flight. Breezes has buses leaving for the airport every 1/2 hour. They will (or should) slip a paper under your door the night before you leave. It will have what time your bus is scheduled to leave

You go through 2 security checkpoints at the airport, plus get welcomed back to the states. You used to go through 3 checkpoints, which made it even longer to get through

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how long will it take to get through customs?

We visited Nassau off season and customs took forever. There was only 1 person for everyone and the line was very long. Better safe than sorry as far as I'm concerned, but you do need to give yourself lots of time.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how long will it take to get through customs?

The airlines always say to allow 3 hours before your US-bound flight. That said, I live in Nassau and travel to the US frequently and have found that 2 hours is usually more than enough time. I usually fly on off-peak days (mid-week) though.

There is now only one security screening to go through, so the process has been streamlined further. This happens right after check-in and before entering the US immigration and customs area. If there are only a few officers working, this can get backed up considerably. Once through there, you head upstairs to the departure lounge until your flight is called for boarding. .

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how long will it take to get through customs?

We are heading out on a Sunday for the first time. We usually travel on a Tuesday or Wednesday. As a general rule, is Sunday a bigger travel day? I am hoping not.

Jim

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,592 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: how long will it take to get through customs?

I arrived on Sunday morning every May and November

the past four years for one week visits. Sunday

arrival is ok. Never had a problem. Some days the

Immigration check in lines are longer with multiple

arrivals but I never waited more than 10 minutes.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how long will it take to get through customs?

Thanks for the insight Tigervette.

Jim

CT
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how long will it take to get through customs?

We just came back on Thursday, 3:55pm flight. It took 10 minutes to get from taxi to the gate. Probably depends on the day of the week.

Get answers to your questions about Nassau