We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving Nassau to return to Canada

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
219 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving Nassau to return to Canada

I noticed that there is a great article on arriving and departing by plane from Nassau. It goes on to tell you that leaving Nassau is time cosuming. The article talks about returning to the US. My question is does it also take as long if you are returning to Canada? We want to know how long before departure should we be at the airport.

Orillia, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Nassau, Nassau
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving Nassau to return to Canada

Assuming you are on a direct flight back to Canada you should be at the airport approx. 2 hours prior to departure. You would go through customs on arrival in Canada.

People who are going to the US, or connecting in the US to a different country, do their customs in the Bahamas and sometimes it is very time consuming, it could be as much as 2 1/2 hours do go through customs.

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving Nassau to return to Canada

When we left in January it took us about 20 mins at the ticket counter, 5 mins at security and we were sitting waiting for our flight. Their airport is tiny compare to Toronto (not sure if your familiar with it). I would still take the 3hours just incase you never know what will be going on when you arrive. Also sometimes if everyone has checked in and the pilot can get clearance you can take off early so be sure to show up on time. But no there is no big hassle going to Canada

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving Nassau to return to Canada

Have been flying down to Nassau from Canada for years a couple of times of year. I have never been to the airport more than an hour before the flight in Nassau (for direct flights back to Canada) and it still takes me a total of about 20 minutes to check in and clear security. Though that all depends on your comfort level, keep in mind there is nothing to do (i.e. virtually no shoppiong or food) at the nassau airport to kill 2 hours.

To comment on above poster, , as a very frequent flyer,, IMO it is very very rare for a flight to leave early, especially if any of the passengers are not checked in.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
219 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving Nassau to return to Canada

I now have insight as to what to expect when we leave Nassau. Nothing less exciting then sitting around for a couple of hours with young children and nothing to do!! Thanks everyone for your input. Does the airport have air conditioning?

Texas
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving Nassau to return to Canada

We were there this past June and again in Aug. Airport was very crowded both times. Graycliff now has two lounges, One is smoking and one non-smoking. The cost is $10.00 per person and it includes one complimentary drink (alcholic beverage or non) and complimentary wifi. The lounges are air conditioned and have television in them. We used them on both occasions. Well worth it IMO. The airport itself was so crowded that people were sitting on the floor when chairs weren't available.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving Nassau to return to Canada

as per above poster, the new Greycliff lounge is in the US departure terminal. Itnl and Canada are in a different terminal and do not have access. I have seen a lounge in the Canada/Intnl terminal - but it never appears to be open. However the waiting area in the Canada/Intnl terminal have plenty of seats, is clean and clean bathrooms. A few small kiosks have opened displaying some arts/crats - but otherwise very slim picking.

Orillia, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Nassau, Nassau
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving Nassau to return to Canada

001traveller001

If it is open (the hours are erratic) you can add the duty free liquor store to your list, and you can carry your booze on the plane.

We just make sure we have room in our carry on for it, and so far it has got home safely.,

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving Nassau to return to Canada

regkit - thanks for info

word of warning if you are carrying your liquor on board with you in Nassau. If you have a connecting flight upon arrival in Canada - you will not be able to carry it on board - though you will still have the opportunity to pack it into your checked luggage upon arrival in Canada

Orillia, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Nassau, Nassau
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving Nassau to return to Canada

Yeah, I should have put that in too. We are lucky as TO is our destination and we always just put it in a carry on, no problem.

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving Nassau to return to Canada

"To comment on above poster, , as a very frequent flyer,, IMO it is very very rare for a flight to leave early, especially if any of the passengers are not checked in."

I said only if all passengers have checked in, of course a flight would not leave ealry without people, they do their best to try to get all on board. We fly 2 times a year and I would say most our flights leave 10-15 mins early