We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Nassau ?

Which Nassau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Bloomfield
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Nassau ?

I will be in Nassau with a group on a Carnival cruise ship in early May.

I am looking for a dive operator for 6 or 8 people.

Any Suggestions?

SoCal
Level Contributor
274 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba Nassau ?

We've been diving in Nassau for years. There are two primary operators. One is Stuart Cove - around 1 hour from the cruise terminal. They're by far the biggest, and are used by many film crews for movies. They're also on Shark Week all the time. The boats tend to be crowded, but they have a fairly wide variety of dive sites to go to. I've seen the dive sites deteriorate over the years, I think the reefs they go to have been over dove. The other operator is Bahama Divers, around 15 minutes from the cruise terminal. Much smaller operation, but I think the service is better. They go to specific sites each day. They're also slightly less expensive than Stuart Cove. We've been diving with them for the past few years, and I actually prefer them over Stuart Cove.

midwest
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba Nassau ?

We've also used Stuart Cove on 3 different occasions. Very professional, good diver/staff ratios, good equipment. They include transportation.

www.stuartcove.com

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
277 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba Nassau ?

Stuart's by far is the better one, dive sites r better then bahamadivers. More professinal. Go there once a month.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,453 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba Nassau ?

Two operators in Nassau. I've tried both and more or less agree with ScubaJC'c comment above.

Stuart Cove might have a larger choice of dive sites, but it is "cattle diving" (i.e. no personal service whatsoever), and it is quite far from the cruise terminal. Bahama Divers on the contrary offers a much better and personalised service (fantastic team) and is about 10 minutes from the terminal. Their program is available on http://www.bahamadivers.com/ and if the day match, the Blue Hole is fabulous. I also loved Thunderball Reef.

I short, no hesitation, for a one day diving, just go for Bahama Divers.

P.S.: Both operators would pick you up and bring you back to the terminal.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba Nassau ?

ScubaJC and Swissdiver, for someone going on their first open water dive, would bahama divers be better? I'm still trying to figure everything out, and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,453 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba Nassau ?

@jencirino: Yes, imho Bahama Divers will be much better as they will provide a more personalised service, more human. The issue with very large diving centres such as Stuart Cove is the chance you get an instructor who just arrived or who is new or... It would change totally the experience. What I (as client but also as Padi Divemaster) saw at Bahama Divers was quite good.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba Nassau ?

swissdiver, thank you very much for your feedback! I was somewhat worried about diving with Stuart Cove for that very reason, and the wall dive made me feel very uncomfortable. I think its unfortunate they don't offer another option for those divers that would like to do hard bottom dives.

how does the dive selection work at Bahama divers? I see that they have certain dives on certain days.

and sorry for hijacking the thread!! :-)

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,453 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuba Nassau ?

In fairness for Stuart Cove, I doubt they would bring any first open water divers to the wall.. Anyway, here is the schedule:

http://www.bahamadivers.com/diving.htm

The Blue Hole is the one you probably don't want to do (and I guess they won't anyway let you doing it) as it requires some diving experience. In addition to the Blue Hole and the Barracuda Shoals, I went to THE LIGHTHOUSE REEF, MIRANDA WRECK, TRINITY CAVES and THUNDERBALL REEF, all fine for a first dive.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Scuba Nassau ?

What ever happened to DIVE DIVE DIVE scuba shop?

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
617 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scuba Nassau ?

agree with above, if the diver is a beginner, better to have them in a smaller group. Have seen some new divers become overwhelmed with large groups of more experienced divers.