We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship stop with a large group

Which Nassau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Utah
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cruise ship stop with a large group

We have 18 in our group and will be stopping at Naussa, St Thomas and St Maarten's. The main 3 things they want to do is snorkel and swim, zipline and parasail. They enjoy hiking also. My question is which stop to do which activity? I would love to hear your opinions!!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise ship stop with a large group

Nassau would probably be the best snorkel stop. If you contact Stuart Cove (google it) and book with them they will send one of their mini-busses to pick up your group at the docks.

Level Contributor
601 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise ship stop with a large group

I read some where that if you want a cruise off shore excursion you shoul book one not through the cruise line but off shore or better prices. Is that correct, opinions please

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise ship stop with a large group

Generally, booking an excursion on your own is usually a bit cheaper. However, if you book through the cruise line, they take full responsibility for getting you back to your cruise ship by departure time. In the event of an occurance that would make you miss your ship, they assume liability. If you are on your own excursion, the responsibility is yours and yours alone. The cruise line tours also give you some comfort as to the quality and integrity of the excursion operators. For a few extra dollars, you have alot more peace of mind. Just my opinion.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ship stop with a large group

we booked a snorkel trip on our own last summer on Flying Cloud and loved it. Just plan extra time to get back to the ship - don't get there an hour before it leaves.

For a large group, you could save a lot of $$ booking on your own.

we have 16 family members going in 2 weeks and trying to plan what to do, but will probably book on our own again as ship is in port til midnight and activities will be in afternoon.

Level Contributor
601 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ship stop with a large group

Thank you. I like your opinion never gave that a thought. I will book excursion on board

Cranbury, New Jersey
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise ship stop with a large group

I would recommend snorkeling in St Maarten, there is a list if you google "best snorkeling" (Antigua, GC bubble right to the top of the list). St M is not far behind and Coki beach on St. T offers great snorkeling as well.

You can go on your own and save $$$$, as long as you are aware and remain vigilant of your time constraints. Even then, it is always possible something can happen with even mechanical failure of a bus you are on or something that can leave you at the mercy of the tour operator getting you back in time....

My family has booked ship sponsored tour excursions as well as gone off on our privately. Only you know how responsible you want to feel getting back to the ship.

Utah
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise ship stop with a large group

Thank you, thank you, everyone! I appreciate all your ideas! Having a big group to transport is a new concern for me - usually it is just my husband & I. I enjoy finding excursions on my own - and have been very successful thanks to great information here on trip advisor! Sounds like snorkeling gets the nod in Nassau - and the gals want to check out some shopping there. My grandsons are excited about the Pirate museum - anyone been there?

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise ship stop with a large group

Pirate Museum is interesting, but it's self guided. The kids get more excited being in the gift shop.

Utah
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise ship stop with a large group

hahahaha!! I am sure you are right!! I did read about a dolphin experience they might also like in Nassau.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
277 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise ship stop with a large group

There are 2 dolphin experiences one at Atlantis or ones at Blue Lagoon

IMO Blue lagoon is better/nicer/cheaper. I personally don't think you will have enough time for everything on your list.