We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuarts Cove, phone cards...

boston
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stuarts Cove, phone cards...

Hi,

May I bother you with a couple of more questions?

Are the SUB underwater bubble contraptions safe? They look very fun but I'm a little apprehensive.

Also, we did not update the cell phone correctly and phone calls are not going through. Is there any wifi near the straw market? Or can one use a pay phone with a credit card or do you need a pre-paid card?

Could you recommend a place to buy near the straw market?

Thanks so much. Appreciate any advice!

Susan

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stuarts Cove, phone cards...

The subs are very safe -- you are never more than 10 feet or so underwater, so it's not as if you are deep. The activitiy is even safe for non-swimmers, but I would not recommend it all the same. It's a great way to cruise along and see fish and corals without having to keep diving for a new breath each time. You will enjoy it.

There is a Starbucks a few streets east of the straw marker. They have free wifi there. Also, the lobby of the British Colonial Hilton (but it would be good form to buy a drink or coffee if you sit there)

Pay phones take phone cards, which can be purchased in many stores on Bay Street. This will give you the best rate. Just ask around the market for the best place to buy -- the vendors will know. Just check to make sure the card has not already been scratched off if you buy from a vendor on the street.

Hope that is of help to you.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,386 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stuarts Cove, phone cards...

The mini-subs at Stuart Cove are really nice. The excursion was one of the coolest things I ever did. You breath inside of an 'air bubble' under a sort of helmet over your head. The whole unit is tethered by a cable to a buoy on the surface. An electric motor propels the sub very slow, about 2 mph. An air tank on each sub provides air and you just breath normally. Think of a glass turned upside down in a basin of water with air trapped in the glass.

Several scuba divers accompany each group of subs. They shoot a video which you can buy on DVD as a memory of your experience. I bought it and highly recommend it. The divers feed fish that surround you with their colors.

The water you are in is deep but as Dusty said, you are only about 10-15 feet from the surface.

boston
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Stuarts Cove, phone cards...

Thanks so much for your reply!

Missoula, Montana
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stuarts Cove, phone cards...

Hello! We just recently returned from Nassau. My boyfriend was offered a job there and accepted so we will be moving there early next year. I am hoping you can perhaps answer some more questions about cell phones. We currently have iphone 5's, will these work there? How does the cell phone work there locally and back to the US? Smartphones, texting etc... We are currently researching to find the best deal that works for us, cell phone, land line etc... Thanks for your help!

Allison

boston
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Stuarts Cove, phone cards...

Hey Allison,

When my daughter was in Nassau, I was able to call her hotel room using google voice (installed on my iphone) for only 10 cents a minute. It puts the call through to a US phone number and gets sent on from there. (Beats the 1.99 a minute verizon charges)

This may not be useful for you but good for your family members in the US to call you perhaps.

Good luck!

Susan

6. Re: Stuarts Cove, phone cards...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2013, 13:05
here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stuarts Cove, phone cards...

Alllison, you might want to look into the laws pertaining to working/living in the bahamas. Just because you're boyfriend got a job, doesn't mean you will be allowed to stay with him in the bahamas.

You have alot of homework to do. It's not easy, or cheap to get permission to stay in the bahamas.

8. Re: Stuarts Cove, phone cards...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 05:15