We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decisions, Fast Ferry Harbour Island or Powerboat Adven

NC
Level Contributor
356 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Decisions, Fast Ferry Harbour Island or Powerboat Adven

will be on Nassau for SuperBowl weekend. looking for something we've never done before for Saturday.

I would really like to take the ferry to Harbour Island, but I keep reading 3 hours each way and wonder how to pass the time? Should I just book one of the other tours?

Anyone done them both Bahamas Fast Ferries vs. the Powerboat adventure? I've read reviews, but I'm just as confused.

Mentioned in this post
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
Cliff Hanging Tours
Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,497 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decisions, Fast Ferry Harbour Island or Powerboat Adven

If you are lookig for exciting and fun filled day.. Powerboat.

Relaxing and laid back - Harbour Island.

Bahama ferries is a big comfortable boat.. you can read, watch tv, nap, or go out on the deck and catch some sun.

Powerboat - is a fast, wet and exciting ride.

Mentioned in this post
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
NC
Level Contributor
356 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decisions, Fast Ferry Harbour Island or Powerboat Adven

Scuba Girl! so glad to see you are still providing great information on Nassau. thank you for your quick reply.

On the bahamas fast ferry, silly question I'm sure, is it like being on a cruise, if you go on deck are you just looking at open water, or are their islands that you pass?

I was thinking that the last weekof January may be cool (temp. & water) for snorkeling activities which is why I thought the trip to Harbour Island to explore would be interesting.

And if the decision is Fast Ferry should you prebook - do they fill up in advance?

Scuba Girl...you've been a great source of infromation through the years, thank you so much.

Mentioned in this post
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,726 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decisions, Fast Ferry Harbour Island or Powerboat Adven

Gonewiththewind, as always, scuba has given you the straight scoop. However, if you are concerned about the 3 hour ferry journey, you can just as easily fly to North Eleuthera. It is a 15 minute flight, and from there a 1 mile or so taxi ride to the water taxis and in 5 more minutes you are standing on Harbour Island. For some, this is an easier route to travel.

The only things to consider are: if you are staying on Cable Beach or in the west of New Providence, you are close to the airport and not an expenisve taxi ride. You do have to check in 1 hour before flight time. Costs are similar if you fly or go by ferry. There are multiple flights each day, so you can book an early morning one and return on an afternoon flight. You do not have to book the same airline each way if another schedule works better for you.

I've done both, but prefer going by air, as I live 8 minutes from the airport, whereas the ferry terminal, near Paradise Island is a 45 minute drive away. The ferry is comfortable and easy to travel. It's airline style seating, with lots of room to get up and move around. You do see some islands on the way out of Nassau, and again when you get closer to Eleuthera (Spanish Wells is the first stop, then Harbour Island) Otherwise, it is just lots of water!

Mentioned in this post
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
Cable Beach
Cable Beach
1,914 Reviews
New Providence Island
Paradise Island
Paradise Island
New Providence Island
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
NC
Level Contributor
356 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decisions, Fast Ferry Harbour Island or Powerboat Adven

Dusty-traveler, thanks for the post.

What airlines would provide this service? and more important to me, what type of aircraft? I'm not sure I would be able to hang with a small airplane as I'm a white-knuckle flyer as it is. And can you give me an estimated fee?

Last year we island hopped from Aruba to Curacao in January and as we walked out onto the tarmac to board the plane in Aruba, the pilot was sitting in his "pilot seat" with the window open, arm resting on the window eating a candy bar. the plane was old & small (but not THAT small) but I wasn't prepared to deal with the local airline I suppose. We flew and it was fine, but I was very nervous. :)

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,726 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decisions, Fast Ferry Harbour Island or Powerboat Adven

There are a number of airlines to choose from -- Bahamasair, Pineapple Air, Southern Air. My preference is Pineapple as their schedules seem to synch with my travel plans more often, but you can just as easily "mix and match" depending on which airlines' schedule suits you best. One way tickets are easily done.

The planes are mostly 19 - seat Beechcraft prop planes, and Bahamasair uses the Dash 8, slightly larger, but also prop. I fly a lot and much prefer the smaller planes. Personally, I find them safer and a lot mroe fun travel. Every seat has a window view and the scenery is so spectacular that you won't have time to be worried. It's only a 15 minute flight, and sure beats 3 hours of pounding away on the ferry. At least for me!

Fares range from $65 to $75 each way. Some days have more flights than others, but you can always find a morning/afternoon combination. For example:

Pineapple has flights from Nassau at 6:45am, 11:45am, 3:45pm and returning flights at 7:20am, 12:20pm, and 4:30pm. Southern has flights at 7am, 12pm, and 4pm and returning to Nassau at 7:30am, 12:30pm, and 4:30pm. So they are siimilar schedules -- often combined flights. You can book all of these airlines online -- pineappleair.com southernaircharter.com and bahamasair.com

6. Re: Decisions, Fast Ferry Harbour Island or Powerboat Adven

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2014, 06:16