We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to Nassau

Gainesville...
5 posts
Save Topic
first time to Nassau

We are planning a trip the last week of June. We really wanted to go to Green Turtle Cay but transportation is very expensive for 5 people. We have found a lovely home on the VRBO website that is located in Nassau. I am curious about a couple of things....transportation (house has a bus stop very close), safety (how safe is it to just take off on foot or bus) and things we dont need to miss!! My kids ages are 12, 14 and a 20 year old college student. On Green Turtle Cay we had talked about renting a boat and would love to do that if it is possible. We would like to explore other islands.Basically any tips would be appreciated.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to Nassau

Where abouts is the house? safety on foot is relative to whether you're in the heart of the tourist areas or nearby; or completely off the beaten track or in other residential areas...

(although, general rules anywhere about not flashing belongings; appearing confident and controlled etc when out and about apply anywhere)

The buses are independently owned and operated - there are set routes but no timetables. Each bus will have a number on it denoting the route number; so it's easy to tell once you know which route number you want.

Nassau is the biggest 'city'/town in the Bahamas - there are plenty of opportunities for boat-trips/transport to other islands. I haven't looked myself but I can imagine there would be plenty of boat rentals/charters available; pretty much most of the life around Nassau happens on or around the water.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to Nassau

Where is the house? There are many areas in NP, so knowing this will help greatly.

Green Turtle Cay is well worth the trip. If there are 5 of you , you might want to look iinto a private charter, as the costs may be better than commercial in some instances. There is also a ferry from Nassau to Sandy Point, but it doesn't go every day and Sandy Poitnt is some distance from Green Turtle. Fares may be less, but not sure the hassle is worth it.

Gainesville...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to Nassau

We found the house on VRBO if you would take a look it would be greatly appreciated. The listing is #290397. We have used this site many times with no problems but I still always get nervous. We do NOT like resorts and have always preferred a house and more privacy. I have not sent my deposit and would love an opinion before I do. It looks as if it off of W Bay Street close to Eton Avenue.

Dusty.....any suggestions on private charters getting to Green Turtle Cay.

Also, how are the mosquitos end of June???

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to Nassau

Elton Avenue???? Been here eight years....never seen it, it probably does exist....but where is it?????

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time to Nassau

Eton Ave is just east of sandals. should be a decent spot, but I'm not familiar with the property.

Gainesville...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: first time to Nassau

I dont have a specific address but the listing is posted on VRBO #290397. There is a map on that site and that is where I got the Eton Avenue.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time to Nassau

I'm thinking of coming in Mid-March first time as well....any suggestions on rentals or inclusive on the cheap?

8. Re: first time to Nassau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Nassau