We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay friends

ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Gay friends

My boyfriends family has been staying in a timeshare for years. We will be using it this april and invited our friends along. Ourfriends happen to be a gay male couple. They are not into pda or "super gay." I feel horrible now that im reading this isnt gay friendly at all. Im actually scared and I wish we would have booked flights back to Mexico. Are we going to be safe?

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gay friends

Hi sraa01,

Your friends will be fine. Bahamians, generally, are very friendly and do not discriminate. As a matter of fact, there are many openly gay people living in the Bahamas. Yes, being an openly gay couple is still fairly new in the Bahamas and you may get a few stares when affection is displayed publicly but I imagine it is like that in some parts of your own country too. Your safety in the Bahamas will not be affected by the sexual orientation of your friends.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,486 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gay friends

Sorry, Cassie, I have to disagree. It is a fact that the bahamian people are quite homophobic. We still have beat downs in clubs, issues in the workplace and other issues. (including some gay cruises being rejected)

You're friends may not take issue, but there are still many that do.

My advise is to keep your sexual orientation to yourself. Limit your PDA's and don't make a big deal out of it.

May find some problems in the clubs, but if you stay in the tourist areas, you shouldn't have a problem. You may find bahamians use words you are not used to... they don't necessarily mean them in a negative way, but they do use terminology that would not be acceptable in the states.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gay friends

scubagirrl, we'll have to agree to disagree on this. Perhaps we live in different parts of the Bahamas. I can speak for Nassau and I stand by my comments.

I do agree with one point. Staying in the tourist areas is best. However, it's best for safety in general and has nothing to do with how gays are treated outside of tourist areas. As a matter of fact, there are two popular gay nightclubs outside of the tourist area. Though, I wouldn't recommend visiting them because the areas are known to be quite dangerous.

sraa01, you and your friends will be fine. Enjoy yourselves in the Bahamas and try not to worry so much. After your stay you should post about your experience so that future visitors will know what to expect.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,486 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gay friends

Cassie, I live in nassau.. and you just said it yourself.. You wouldn't recommend visiting the gay clubs because they are dangerous.

There IS gay bashing in nassau.. I don't know why you don't hear about it.

As a matter of fact I know quite a few people who are less than tolerant of gays and others who make fun and crude remarks. They are not my friends, but I know them.

Tourist who stay in the tourist corridor are not usually affected.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gay friends

scubagirrl, I never said gay clubs are dangerous. I said the areas outside of the tourist area are dangerous and that goes for anyone in general. I wouldn't recommend any club in those areas; whether they are gay or straight clubs. There are much better clubs in the tourist area and there are no incidents of "beat-downs" and bashings because of sexual orientation.

ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gay friends

What are the tourist areas?

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gay friends

Downtown/Bay Street, Cable Beach/West Bay St. and Paradise Island

Nassau
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gay friends

Hi sara, like Cassie and Scubagirll said some of nassau's people are homophobic. you and your friends will okay. I would just that your two friend just keep their pda in public to a minimum and keep it for when they are behind closed doors to avoid unnecessary attention and stares. yes they do have one or two clubs available that cater to gay people. if they intend to go just arrange their ride to and from if they plan to visit them. And yes the Bahamas is still a safe place for you and your gay friends to visit.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gay friends

The Bahamas are notoriously anti gay and openly homophobic. I would advise your friends to be very discreet.

dubai
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gay friends

so whats tge update of this one? im planning to go there now im afraid...

Get answers to your questions about Nassau