We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach snorkeling

Alberta
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
beach snorkeling

When I look at beach pictures from in front of the Breezes resort there are dark areas in the water which would usually indicate coral (good snorkeling). However I have read that snorkeling from the beach there is average (at best). So my question is if the dark areas are in fact coral? Sea grass?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: beach snorkeling

More than likely it is sea grass. The same visual effect can be seen on Paradise Island where it is also sea grass. As far as I know, there are no coral reefs along Cable Beach or Paradise Island.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,474 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach snorkeling

Not only sea grass.. but dead coral rock formations. hard on the feet.

No reef near the shoreline in the area.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach snorkeling

It's see grass. We do snorkle there though as you do see some nice colored fish, starfish, and other fish just before you get to the rope area. No live coral there though and I like to wear the water shoes as I hate stepping on something that I don't know what it is LOL Just my pet peeve.

Edited: 14 March 2013, 16:09
Ohio
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach snorkeling

Oops meant to say, SEA grass not see grass LOL I guess you will be able to see it *wink

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: beach snorkeling

Reminds me of the old saying: "I'm on a see food diet. If I see it, I eat it".

Alberta
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beach snorkeling

Thank you for the responses. I usually try to snorkel even when I'm told its not worth it. I'm sure in a past life I was a fish. Worse case scenario we go on a few snorkel excursions.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beach snorkeling

LOL Tigervette..sometimes you post then you find an opps and no edit button. I'm sure they got the jest of what we were trying to say *smile

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beach snorkeling

Goober, they have a few really good snorkle excursios. One of the best that also offers dives (if you are certifiied is Stuart Coves. It's a really good experienced outfit. They don't stop at an island for lunch or anything, but you snorkle from a few different spots.. The last stop is a shark feed which is really cool to see.

www.stuartcove.com/

Also there is Sandy Toes which goes to Rose Island which is so beautiful! They have lunch and drinks and good snorkling and games or just hang out on a hammock. Bring a bagel or some bread in a baggie from your breakfast and feed the fish for some really great water pictcures.

http://www.sandytoesroseisland.com/

Have fun and enjoy yourself!

9. Re: beach snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 04:15