We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlines to the Bahamas

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Airlines to the Bahamas

Hi, I am asking my question on this forum as it is much more active than the San Salvador forum.

We are once again taking a group of university students to San Sal. Is there ANY alternative to Bahamasair? We originally flew Twin Air, which is now out of business I believe. The last few years with Bahamas air have been a mixed experience, to say the least - hours long delays, missed connections (you would think 4 hours was enough leeway for a connecting flight - not with this airline), baggage delays, students left in Nassau, students' names wrong on tickets (from an email list! Had to buy another ticket), etc.

We have been flying USAir to Nassau, but could also fly to Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or anywhere else that flies to San Sal. Any suggestions?

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airlines to the Bahamas

The only one I know of is Spirit Airlines out of FLL I believe. I think they only fly on Saturdays and it's used for the Club Med guests. San Salvador is on our "to do" list for sure. What do your students do there?

Great Exuma
Level Contributor
232 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airlines to the Bahamas

I think Southern Air Charter and Skybahamas fly to San Salvador out of Nassau.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airlines to the Bahamas

how about this is you are flying to san salvador from miami

…expedia.com/flights-from-miami-to-san-salva…

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airlines to the Bahamas

Sam, that is for El Salvador. We're talking about San Salvador, Bahamas.

Dash, I don't think Sky Bahamas flies there but it looks like Southern re-instated their route to San Sal as well as Rum Cay. Sweet!

Edited: 21 June 2013, 15:27
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airlines to the Bahamas

Thanks! I will check these airlines. We take a class to the field station (old naval base) and snorkel and collect algae. There is not much else to do on this island, although there is a Club Med. No shopping except the few local spots (grocery, drugstore, t shirt store, and very, very small straw market). One of the students asked about movie theaters, malls, and ATMs. She did not have a very good time on the trip.

6. Re: Airlines to the Bahamas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 05:17