We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rose Island or somewhere else?

Which Nassau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
211 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Rose Island or somewhere else?

Hi! We are in Nassau for a day (cruise ship stop), and wanted to check out a nice beach and a good snorkeling spot. We have our own snorkeling equipment, and wanted to save some money and not take a tour. How can we get to Rose island and how much would it cost? Are there any public beaches? Good places to eat nearby? Are the beaches shady or wide open? Any other recommendations for a decent snorkeling spot on a nice stretch of beach? Mostly, I'm trying to avoid shelling out $100/pp for a tour.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rose Island or somewhere else?

Hi lady_winter2 (good name, coming from Chicago!) - Welcome to the Nassau Forums!

To get to Rose Island, you'll need to go by boat. It's about 6 miles from downtown Nassau, to the closest part, and you can do those day tours you mention LOL to get there :) Some are $100pp & some are cheaper... I suggest Sandy Toes, Flying Cloud & Barefoot Sailing Cruises. I'd email them and ask for a discount, if you bring your own snorkel gear...! The thing is, it's gorgeous at Rose, and I'd say, definitely worth the trip.

The tricky bit about Nassau is there isn't much snorkeling close to shore - there can be things to see e.g. fish & small coral growths but to get to the real coral reefs you need to go by boat.

Hope this helps!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rose Island or somewhere else?

If I can't go to Rose Island my favorite public beach is Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island.

If you want the busier part of the beach - grab a cab to the access point just East of the RIU Palace Hotel. Busy = vendors, massages, jet ski rentals, banana boats, parasailing, and chair & umbrella rentals. There will be cabs outside when you are ready to leave.

If you prefer the quieter part - grab a cab to the access point just East of the Paradise Island Beach Club. Quieter = a mini-mart as you walk along beside the Beach Club, but on the beach there are no vendors, only an occasional jet ski rental person passing by, no chairs or umbrellas, a few palm trees for shade at the far end (10 min. walk), and lovely quiet beach. There will not be cabs outside when you are ready to leave. Ask the cab that drops you to come back at a prearranged time.

It's also about a 5-10min. walk along the beach to get between these two parts.

Have a Great Day in Nassau!

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
211 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rose Island or somewhere else?

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to try asking for a discount with my own snorkel gear! Didn't think about that.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rose Island or somewhere else?

I bring my own gear all the time. No discounts.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rose Island or somewhere else?

@Scubagirrl - have you ever asked?!? :)

@lady_winter2 - worth a try - scubagirrl is probably right, but then again, you never know - worth a few emails to see... and maybe they'll offer you a discount anyway if you're booking directly with them...

Edited: 20 September 2013, 23:35
here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rose Island or somewhere else?

I know the owners of both Seahorse and Flying cloud and know the captains and most of the crew.

This question has come up often.. and the answer is no.

Even if you don't snorkel, at all.. the price is the same.

There are sometime 10% discounts for booking online. Haven't seen it lately.

7. Re: Rose Island or somewhere else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 05:18