We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerned about safety - travelling with an infant

Auckland, New...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Concerned about safety - travelling with an infant

It has been a life long dream to visit the Atlantis, Bahamas and so my family and I will be travelling from Auckland, New Zealand to the Bahamas in May 2014. My Family consists of 5 x adults (aged between 21-25 years old) and my son who will be one year old. I have recently come across many articles on google re: very high crime rates + theft and attacks aimed at tourists. We were planning on hiring a holiday home in the East (near Yamacraw Hill), can somebody give me an indication of what this area is like? There may be times where only my son and I will be alone in the house (if the rest go out for a night on the town) and I'd hate to put my child in any dangerous situations. Thanks, Brittany

Marvelous Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Bahamas Outdoors
Sightseeing Tours
nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Concerned about safety - travelling with an infant

I would say, look for some place else to stay. That's mainly a residential area, and outside the "tourist zone". Plus, if your driving yourself, you can end up in areas, you don't (and shouldn't) be in day or night. Look into renting a condo unit at Harbourside or booking a couple of rooms at Comfort Suites. Both places give you full access to Atlantis.

Auckland, New...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concerned about safety - travelling with an infant

we are very happy to be in a residential area and find we have more "real experiences", real people, real food, real culture outside of the touristy areas, I take it from your advice that Yamacraw Hill and some of the other residential suburbs around the East of the island are unsafe?

I appreciate your help. Thank you very much.

Brittany

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,332 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concerned about safety - travelling with an infant

As wwbev says, this is an iffy area that is also way outside the tourist areas. There was a question about this very same area earlier this month that I responded to. Have a look at the post to get a bit more imformation.

tripadvisor.com/…52723340

Don't let the safety issues throw you off -- just find a rental that is more in the tourist areas as security is much better there than being off in an isolated part of the island on your own. And you would need a car for that location, as there is nothing much to do around there.

Have a look at Comfort Suites or Harbourside at Atlantis, or find something to rent on Paradise Island or in one of the Cable Beach communities -- Delaporte, Sandyport, for starters. So much closer to things to do, and though you may pay a bit more for the rental, you will save on the gas, parking and car hire.

Auckland, New...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concerned about safety - travelling with an infant

I appreciate the advice and will look into Holiday homes elsewhere in more tourist populated areas.

Thank you for all the help.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Concerned about safety - travelling with an infant

Hi Brittany - that's wonderful that you're fulfilling a lifelong dream and that it is a trip to The Bahamas!

Before you rule out the house that you have been looking at, why don't you share the link to it here, so that we can see exactly where it is, and have a better idea about the neighbourhood? Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
248 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concerned about safety - travelling with an infant

2 words for you "Out Islands." I m partial to the Exuma Cays now, but I would look at what you plan on spending at Atlantis and take a good look at your options in the "Out Islands" Crime in the Out Islands is unheard of.

Auckland, New...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concerned about safety - travelling with an infant

@sailexuma The holiday home we have been considering is tripadvisor.com/…map

@Eric3737 - thank you for the advice, I will consider travelling to an outer island.

Thanks again for your help

Brittany Ahu

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Concerned about safety - travelling with an infant

@Brittany - it looks like a very nice house and the views are great!

As one reviewer mentioned - it is an upscale neighborhood, with exclusive homes and wealthy locals living all around you. However, the beaches at that part of the island aren't as beautiful as on other areas, which is why I probably wouldn't stay there. That, and the 30+ min. drive (depending on traffic) to get to town, restaurants, beaches, and touristy things to do.

As the OPs mentioned, I'd look on Paradise Island for a villa (e.g. Harborside, Sunrise Beach Villas, Miramar, Paradise Island Beach Club) or in Cable Beach (Delaporte, Sandyport, WestwindI, Westwind II, Blue Water Resort) - there should be quite a few listings, and these places vary in price and quality...

Edited: 29 September 2013, 20:33
North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concerned about safety - travelling with an infant

Is your dream to visit Atlantis, or the Bahamas? The cheapest and easiest way to visit Atlantis, would be renting 2 rooms at the Comfort Suites. The 2 rooms will cost less than 5 adult day passes to Atlantis if you rent anywhere off site. If you stay for a few nights, go during the week for lower rates, and avoid the US holidays around the last weekend of May. You'll be perfectly safe there at night while the rest of the adults go out to dinner (and they'll be able to walk to many choices). It won't be the same experience as renting a large house, but I found Atlantis to be worth visiting at least once in a lifetime.

If you're staying for more than a week (which I would recommend if you're flying all the way from New Zealand), why not spend some time right by Atlantis, and then spend another week at a house on a quiet private beach. It could be elsewhere on New Providence, or on an out island as Eric suggested. There are flights from Nassau to the Abacos, Eleuthera and Great Exuma, which all have rental houses in a less populated (and safer) area. There's a ferry from Nassau that goes to Spanish Wells and Harbour Island. Harbour Island is a busy, upscale place, with a beautiful beach and lots of restaurants, with everything within walking (or golf cart distance). It will be very expensive. There are some rental houses around Spanish Wells that should be more affordable with some waterfront and beachfront. The rental homes would be in a safe area. It's very quiet with only family type restaurants (no bars), but you can take the ferry to Harbour Island or Eleuthera for some daytime exploring.

While the house you were looking at on New Providence seems very nice, it's in a very isolated area. Having rich people living in the area is not necessarily a good thing. That's where the thieves will go to find the best things to steal. Being isolated, they know they will be long gone before the police get there. If the other adults with you plan to drink in town at night, that's a long drive back with the chance of encountering other drunk drivers, or worse, on the way back.

10. Re: Concerned about safety - travelling with an infant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Nassau