We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in the Bahamas!

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in the Bahamas!

We carry a scooter on our boat. Provides transportation. Will we be allowed to drive it in the Bahamas?

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,689 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in the Bahamas!

Unless you get a Bahamas registration and appropriate insurance coverage, you will NOT be able to use the scooter legally on public roads in the Bahamas. I'm not sure that, as a visitor, you are even eligible to register a vehicle. Also, consider you may be asked to pay duty (or bond) on the scooter if you take it off your veseel. Not sure it is worth the hassle, but you can always phone the Road Traffic Department for assistance at (242) 302-3850 or 325-3323.

There is no courtesy to vehicles with US plates, as they will not be covered by the required insurance. Bicycles are fine, but anything with a motor must be registered if operated on public streets.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in the Bahamas!

Thanks for the info. We will be staying awhile so will check to see what can or cannot be done.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in the Bahamas!

Unless you are used to driving on the "other" side of the road, you might want to re-think this even if it were legal to use your scooter. There have been a number of incidents with scooters; I have personally never tried it. It seems like it wouldn't be so difficult, but I know better. Now to keep my kids (who are adults and I cannot stop them) from making a bad choice...

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in the Bahamas!

When you clear Bahamas customs and immigration, ask them what is the policy about your scooter. I have seen quite a few cruisers and yachters with foreign licensed scooters and bikes on the streets.

Wear your helmet and be very careful driving - I would do practice rides on Paradise Island and go over the bridge on a Sunday first when there's less traffic. Or save the scooters for the out-islands and rent a car.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in the Bahamas!

I have been to Nassau 3 out of the last 4 years. Personally I think they drive like maniacs over there. I would NOT want to drive over there. Lots of pot holes on most of the streets. They drive pretty agressively in my opinion. I wouldn't want to deal with that on a vacation. I guess if your staying a while, it would be nice to have something to get around in though. PLEASE be careful. Especially the streets downtown. I was on a street that goes along the beach and the driver was dodging several pot holes on the way back to the cruise port.

6. Re: Driving in the Bahamas!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 05:19