We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a hotel in downtown Nassau

Moncton, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a hotel in downtown Nassau

Hello, I am planning on visiting a friend who in living in downtown Nassau for 3 years. I would like to find a hotel nearby. Most of what I can find online are on or near the beach/coast. I would be staying for a week, and would like to find a hotel near him...Collins St. to be exact, but anything closer than the coast would be considered. Any ideas how to find those hotel listings, as opposed to many that are listed with the water loving tourist in mind?.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a hotel in downtown Nassau

The nicer hotels downtown, in my opinion, are the Briitish Colonial Hilton and the Greycliff. There are a few others downtown, a bit cheaper, but perhaps not as nice. Try the Town Hotel, Nassau Palm, El Greco, and the Junkanoo Beach Resort.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a hotel in downtown Nassau

La Paloma is a B&B/Guest House in a nice residential neighborhood, only about 3 blocks from the N end of Collins Avenue http://www.lapalomanassau.com

Moncton, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a hotel in downtown Nassau

Thank you very much for this information. In my original post I should have asked about B&Bs. This one looks more like what I was hoping for. Question: Have you stayed there?

Thanks again.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a hotel in downtown Nassau

La Paloma sounds great, but I question the area it's in. It is not known as a particularly safe area to wander around in -- daytome or nighttime. If you decide to stay there, ask about security and if there are bars on the windows. It is fairly close to Collins Avenue, but getting to and from would be my concern -- unless your friend drives and can pick you up from the b&b.

Collins Avenue is primarily a business street with lots of doctors offices, labs, and the hospital on the northern end, then on the southern end gives way to more retail as well as more doctor offices. So it really isn't very residential.

Have a look at the Hilton in downtown Nassau. It is the most central of the downtown hotels, though not really walking distance from Collins Avenue. But it is right on the main shopping street and steps away from all the restaurants and things to do and see.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a hotel in downtown Nassau

Buen Retiro is quite safe for walking around, it's a lovely residential neighborhood with classic Bahamian style homes, and big old trees. In fact it's often included on city tours.

I haven't stayed there, but I have been inside, I'd describe it as 2 or 2 1/2 stars, and think it's a good value for the money, in a very convenient and pretty location.

There are a few reviews that might help you with your decision - tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147416-d365763…

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a hotel in downtown Nassau

sailexuma, I beg to differ, as I know a number of people who live in Buen Retiro who tell me of robberies and having bars on their windows so they can sleep well at night. They often have car alarms and dogs for extra secuirty and don't go wandering outside their homes after dark. Sure, it's mostly thefts, and thankfully not assaults, but I wouldn't call the area "quite safe for walking around". I think you mislead the OP on this one.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,592 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a hotel in downtown Nassau

Maybe if you are like sailexuma and are 'packing heat' you too would consider it safe for walking around :-)

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a hotel in downtown Nassau

@Dusty - I don't think having bars, car alarms, or dogs is unusual in Nassau. Just curious, where do you feel safe walking around?

@Tigervette - packing heat? really? Okay, I'll go with it - feeling hot hot hot LOL

9. Re: Looking for a hotel in downtown Nassau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Nassau