We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel between islands

Which Nassau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seminole
Level Contributor
4 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Travel between islands

Some plans have fallen through, and it looks like I may be in the Bahamas for almost two weeks. We're flying into Nassau, but I don't want to spend all of that time there. Is it possible to go to another island for a week? If so, which one and how?

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel between islands

Absolutely. From Nassau, you can travel to any of the many islands of the Bahamas. The tough job is figuring out which one would best suit you. What do you like to do? Are you comfortable with less amenties and infrastructure, or do you need more? Upscale restort or more laid back? How important is it to be on the beach? Are you looking for a hotel or to rent a private home? Lots of choices!

Have a look at the Ministry of Tourism's web site for some idea of what each island offers, accommodations and activities. www.bahamas.com They have also offerede in the past, though not sure if it's still a current offer, a deal where you can stay 3 or 4 nights at an out island hotel or resort and the airfare from Nassau is free. Definitely worth looking into.

Seminole
Level Contributor
4 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel between islands

That offer sounds good! I am looking for a place that has some things to do (not just beaches). I don't care about resorts as I prefer budget types of places. Where would be a good place to spend New Year's?

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel between islands

Have a look at Eleuthera or Abaco -- both are good islands for first time out island visitors, as they offer a degree of comfort without total isolation and a strong expat presence.

If you're feeling a bit more adventurous, take a look at Long Island or Cat Island, and perhaps Exuma.

Each island has its own flavour and character, but you will find lots of activities -- historical, cultural, outdoor recreation (fishing, sailing, snorkeling, hiking, kiteboarding, kayaking, surfing, and the list goes on)

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel between islands

The busiest place to celebrate NYE is Nassau.

There are fireworks and a small Junkanoo Parade for New Year's Eve in Hope Town, Abaco - which is also a great island to visit.

5. Re: Travel between islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:16