We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinking water/ fresh fruits & vegetables

virgina
Level Contributor
174 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
drinking water/ fresh fruits & vegetables

When we are in Nassau, we plan to drink bottled water. Do we need to be concerned about eating fruits and vegetable that have been washed in tap water? Are there any other precautions we should take?

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
277 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drinking water/ fresh fruits & vegetables

The water is perfectly safe to drink, and so are fruits and veggies washed in it. The only difference in water is it has a bit of a different taste than in North America. No precautions needed.

niagara falls...
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drinking water/ fresh fruits & vegetables

Hello - actually the water is NOT safe to drink. The hotel staff advised us to drink BOTTLED water only while we were there the third week of December. You can of course take a chance and drink it but it was advisable not to and that was from the many staff members. The bottled water is not that expensive - if you check around at the different shops it is priced differently. The Melia had a gift store that sold huge bottles of water for an inexpensive price. I would rather be safe than sorry.

13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: drinking water/ fresh fruits & vegetables

I have been there 8 times and my family has always drank the water.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drinking water/ fresh fruits & vegetables

The water is indeed safe to drink. ..particularly in the tourist areas.

Hotels, restaurants etc, use city water, which has fresh water and safe.

Well water, may have a bit of a odd taste, but it's fine to drink or water plants or wash your veggies.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drinking water/ fresh fruits & vegetables

Have been drinking tap water for the past three months with no issues. Tastes fine to me. The resorts make a profit of selling you bottled water, as do restaraunts.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: drinking water/ fresh fruits & vegetables

All the drinking water supplied on Paradise Island comes from the sea and is very pure. It is treated by reverse osmosis desalination. Water on New Providence, home to Nassau, comes from a variety of sources.

Barkhamsted...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: drinking water/ fresh fruits & vegetables

The water is fine. We have been here 5 days. No issues.

virgina
Level Contributor
174 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drinking water/ fresh fruits & vegetables

I am happy to report that we spent 4 days in Nassau, and had no problems!

9. Re: drinking water/ fresh fruits & vegetables

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Nassau
Recent Conversations