We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nassau

gibraltar
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nassau

I have been looking at Nassau for our summer holidays, mainly because I can get direct flights from the UK. I am now a bit weary of whether to go or not as the reviews I am reading in tripadvisor does not make the place all that appealing to visit. Many of the reviews say the Nassau's main centre is dirty and that it is a very expensive place to visit. Some reviews say that for the same price one can go to a better place in the USA. I was looking for a peaceful resort with accommodation right on the beach in July, somewhere where I just step on the sand from my room. Is there anywhere in the USA mainland that someone can recommend.

Thanks from a very confused traveller.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
121 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nassau

I am getting the same feeling about Bahamas after reading everything. I'm in the USA and thinking about going to Ocho Rios instead.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nassau

I love the Bahamas. My husband and I have been twice already and are going back in a couple weeks. I don't know why people would post bad things about Nassau. I did not find it dirty at all. We took the public bus downtown both previous trips and walked through the straw market. It's an adventure. If you'd rather go some place a little more first world, go to the US. You can go pretty much anywhere along the coasts of the US in the summer to be on the beach. Check out cape cod in Massachusetts. The thing about the US though is there are no all inclusives. So, you need to add up the hotels, the food, alcohol (if you drink), renting a car, etc.

gibraltar
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nassau

Many thanks for your reply, last year I was looking into visiting Cape Code, would you recommend it then? Have you been there?

Thanks, any info will be of great help to make up decide of where to go. We like to explore whilst on holiday and always rent a car. Is there accommodation right on the beach in Cape Cod. I have not found any all inclusive accommodation in Nassau that is right on the beach. I suppose that would be one way of saving money, as the posts mention how expensive everything in the Bahamas is.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nassau

for information on cape cod, I would suggest you post in the cape cod forum. However, I do not think it is fair or possible to compare bahamas to new england....apples to oranges....

The two most popular all inclusive in bahams are Breezes, directly on beach, and Riu also directly on beach. I suggest you read the reviews.

Though if you are already in Gibraltar, why not check out the many beaches of spain or portugal? much closer.....

edmonton
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nassau

There are lots hotels right on the beach in nassau. We stayed at the sandals , there are melia, riu , breezes all located right on the beach . Atlantis has their own beach ! We just came back n had a great time ! Is clean n safe ! We walked around by ourselves without any problem !

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nassau

There are plenty of resorts on the beach that are all inclusive. Beaches here are beautiful. Yes, it is expensive here and your money would go much further elsewhere. However, I believe things are rather expensive in the UK. If you are looking for all inclusive, you will not find them in the US. They do have some great beach destinations, such as Florida, not the tropical feel you get in the islands, though. In my opinion, best bang for the buck is Mexico, as far as all inclusives go. A plus for Bahamas is they speak English and you would already be accustomed to driving here. Hello roundabouts!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nassau

I'm actually from Cape Cod, so yes I've been there. ;) There are hotels on the beach, but of course our beach is not like the carribean. The water has seaweed and the sand is not white. But, many, many people vacation on the cape so it must be nice. Definitely post in the cape cod forum if you're interested. One hotel right on the beach is the Red Jacket. Florida would be too hot in the summer.

Bethel, Connecticut
Level Contributor
620 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nassau

I'm from Connecticut and grew up visiting Cape Cod. One can't help but be embarrassed calling those stretches of sand beaches when you are comparing them to what you find iin the Bahamas. My advice...splurge and visit an all inclusive like Sandals Royal Bahamian. You won't find anythingike it in the US unless you want to travel to Hawaii.

Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nassau

Another native New Englander here, saying no to the Cape if you are looking to relax at a beautiful beach. If you want to combine a beach trip with a tour of the area then a vacation split between the Cape and Boston, and New England sites sure. For the best beach vacation in the US in the summer I would highly recommend the beaches of South Carolina. We love Myrtle Beach, Surfside, Litchfield, Kiawah Island and HIlton Head. Not sure about direct flights from the U.K. but there are many nice resorts or you can rent a condo or beach house and walk right from your deck to the sand. Warm water, nice long stretches of beach and very friendly people.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nassau

Hello, not sure if you booked your vacation yet, but I would suggest you look into visiting Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head if you are looking to stay on the upper east coast. However, you may want to check out some of the all inclusive resorts in the Dominican Republic, Punta Cana has some of the most beautiful beaches, along with some great deals on very nice all-inclusive resorts. Good Luck!

Get answers to your questions about Nassau