We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rose Island/Sandy Toes question

Illinois
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Rose Island/Sandy Toes question

I know about the excursion to Sandy Toes aboard their boat, etc. Does anyone know if Rose Island is accessible by your own boat? We are renting a boat for a day and wonder if we can go ashore on Rose Island if we are not with the Sandy Toes excursion.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,380 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rose Island/Sandy Toes question

I've read here that Rose Island is private and that excursions have exclusive rights to be on the island.

Barkhamsted...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rose Island/Sandy Toes question

We were there Tuesday and were told that weekends see private boats anchoring off the beach on the south side. Their dock on the north side is private but the rest of the island is accessible. I saw two sailboats anchored nearby too. I also saw other structures on the island on the ride out. My guess is that ST owns or rents about 20 acres only.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rose Island/Sandy Toes question

Rose Island is a mix of crown land and private homes /landowners.

Most of the shoreline is "off limits" to outsiders or requires payment for use via a tour.

Sandy Toes allows boaters on Sundays to pull or moor on the north side of the property and use the facilities (bar) and purchase food.

Using equipment for a fee is available as well.

Most of the nicer beaches have some sort of security to keep non-guests off their property. Some even have dogs. So just hiring a boat to drop you off isn't the smartest thing to do.

There are several sail boats and catamarans that use the beaches for tours. Barefoot Adventures, SeahorseSailing and Flying Cloud all have permits to use some of the northern beaches.

Illinois
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rose Island/Sandy Toes question

Scubagirl, we are actually renting a boat to pilot ourselves, not a tour. So I am wondering if there is a beach area that we can access without having permission, etc. Just didn't know if there was an area of the island that we could do that.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rose Island/Sandy Toes question

Not legally. If you go on Sunday.. you can use Sandy Toes beach.. It's a bit of a ride.. since you have to come in on the north side of the island.. and the beach is mid island. I don't know how you would navigate to a specific beach without having a local with you that knows the waters... there are no signs, and the beach front is 70 + miles long or so...

6. Re: Rose Island/Sandy Toes question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:20