We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do while in Nassau

Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Must do while in Nassau

Traveling to Nassau for 5 night stay at Melia on March 29th. Our main objective for this trip was to relax on the beach and enjoy the warm weather after a freezing winter in Boston. Since we like to travel to a new place each trip is there any activity you would recommend we do or place to visit on the island that we should be sure to see while we are there. Something unique to the island? I am debating whether it is worth going to Atlantis for the day or to the Marina Village in the afternoon/evening and I am sure we will go downtown to look around one afternoon. Anything we should be sure to check out? As an example while in Fajardo, PR we kayaked the bioluminescent bay which I would highly recommend everyone do at least once and Jamaica went to falls and a blue hole.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,710 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do while in Nassau

At the top of this page click on "Things to Do". Also do that in the Paradise Island Forum. In the to do pages you will find ranked listings and reviews.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do while in Nassau

My favorite 'must do' thing is a boat trip for the day out to Rose Island - I like being there and getting there - it's just gorgeous. The 3 trips I would look at are Barefoot Sailing Cruises, Sandy Toes, and Flying Cloud and pick the one that grabs you most :)

Next up is sitting in the turquoise water at a beautiful beach with a cold drink. Which can definitely be combined with #1, above...

After that - a few of my other favorite things are - a bike and birding tour at Coral Harbour, a Segway Tour, a horse & carriage/surrey ride - (I only like this on a Sunday, and making sure to have the driver take you through Buen Retiro and other quaint neighborhoods), a stroll around Fort Charlotte, a wander in The Plait Lady store at Marina Village, a morning with the marching flamingoes at Ardastra Gardens, the National Art Gallery...

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do while in Nassau

I love going with Sandy Toes to the island to relax on a beautiful beach and do some snorkeling in beautiful waters. I would check that trip out. It's well worth the time.

Enjoy the Bahamas!

Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do while in Nassau

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I have looked at the Things to Do but it is nice to get an opinion from the destination experts too. It looks like a trip to Rose Island may be the way to go. I will check out your recommendations Sailexumas. My husband doesn't really like being on a schedule for group tours is there transportation to Rose Island that is not part of a tour like a ferry service?

For the carriage tour, do you arrange that in advance or can you make arrangements the same day with the driver?

Only 10 days until our trip. I can't wait to be on island time!

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do while in Nassau

There are no ferries to Rose Island, only tours. Some are more structured than others.

Sandy Toes is the less structured of those that go out, and on Sunday, they allowed outside guests with their own boats.

Viking Cruise usually do a half day, but don't advertise much.

https:/…150648118363243

Edited: 19 March 2014, 17:54
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do while in Nassau

I would strongly encourage you to avoid the horse and carriage rides. I am at a loss that anyone would consider them or suggest them. Once you see the pitiful state of these horses (nothing more than skin and bones being literally worked into the ground), the cruelty they endure and the extremely harsh conditions in which they are focred to operate, I am sure you will at the very least (I hope) think twice about supporting this inhumane practice.

Edited: 19 March 2014, 18:12
toronto
Level Contributor
193 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do while in Nassau

I agree about not using the horse and carriage rides. It's a very very sad sight to see. Those horses are abused. Last time we were home, one of the surrey drivers yelled over to my hubby "can I pay you to be my bodyguard?" (hubby is a bodybuilder) I yelled back, "take that money and look after your horse" Needless to say, he wasn't happy that I embarrassed him in front of everyone downtown. Please don't support this animal abuse

Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must do while in Nassau

Oh that is sad about the carriage horses. We go to Charleston frequently and there the horses are healthy and treated well (my daughter‘s best friend actually works in the barn caring for and feeding the horses) we would never take a carriage ride if the horses look mistreated. No worries we will do out sightseeing on foot by car or boat. No segways for me remember the owner of the segway company died on one!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must do while in Nassau

thank you for you decision. I have seen certain places, were it looks less obviously harsh, however, I think anywhere where a horse it forced to operate alongside smog and congestion in the heat and harsh conditions is stressful and hard on the horses. In nassau, I can barely look at them, where you can see the ribs sticking out, open sores and cases where the horses literally collapse in the street.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Must do while in Nassau

Not all the horses are in pitiful condition. In fact #4 is a fine looking animal pulling a beautifully maintained all-white surrey.

I would just pick a healthy one, and tell (or not) the other driver(s) why you aren't using their services.

I feel just as sorry for the manta rays and the dolphins and the sea lions in the tanks & lagoons.