We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Safety

I picked bahamas because I thought it was safe. Now I am scared to go. I am going in May with my husband and child. My husband is not adventerous at all so I thought I picked a safe place. We will be staying at melia. Was planning on excursions but am very nervous now. Wanted to take the bus to the pier to catch a boat to blue lagoon but may just stay at my hotel. My son won't be happy. Any thoughts, recommendations?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

You will be fine. There is crime everywhere, even in Cape May, NJ.

If you do a search in these forums, you will find that this question has been asked countless times. I myself asked this same question before I went to Nassau.

I can tell you that I felt completely safe the entire time.

Stick to tourist areas and take a cab at nighttime. Something you would probably do in any city.

Before I went to Nassau, I read their online newspaper everyday. http://www.thenassauguardian.com/ I suggest you do the same thing. If you see a news story about crime, try to glean from the article where the crime happened. Then use google maps and see if you can see where it is. You will most likely find that the crime happens very far away from the tourist areas, including Melia. That is what I discovered before I went, and it really put my mind at ease.

What i'm saying is...don't take other people's word for it. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,474 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

There's no reason to be nervous if you are staying (and touring) in the tourist areas. Most tours will pick up at your hotel, for Blue Lagoon, the jitney will take you downtown where you can catch a cab to the Dolphin Encounter dock on Paradise Island. All this is well within the tourist areas and quite safe. Now I'm not saying that its any more safe than any other city. You still have to be aware of your surrounding, don't flash jewelry or $$$ - just like anywhere else.

Go.. and enjoy.. there's much to see and do.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

I've been to the Bahamas 3 times and have never felt unsafe. My husband and I always take the public bus downtown. While it is an adventure (you meet some characters) it is not unsafe. Try to relax and enjoy your trip.

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

Thanks everyone.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
121 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

I just got back from there. I felt very safe.

There is a strong police presence.

I don't think you will have any issues. Just like any place else, use your common sense, and you will be fine!

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
617 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

This summer will be my 3rd trip to the Bahamas and we have never felt unsafe. We have stayed in a villa on Paradise Island and have walked back to our villa from the Atlantis at night feeling perfectly safe.Take the same precautions that you would back home. I get your worries though because I was slightly concerned on our first trip. I took notes and read through this forum to get any tips I could. A few I can offer is make sure if you take cabs that they are licensed cabs and I believe they will have the letters NP on the license plates so you know which cabs are licensed and which cabs are just run by locals in their cars. Also before you get into a cab find out what the price is to your destination so its set before you even get in. The locals are friendly. Just be aware of your surroundings, enjoy the island and culture and have fun!!

7. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 06:16