We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good day trip w/ food and beach time?

Boston
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Good day trip w/ food and beach time?

My girlfriend and I are heading down to Nassau in Feb, staying at Orange Hill Beach, and I'm looking for a good day trip to think about signing up for while we're there. I'm liking the idea of one of the trips that takes you to one of the smaller surrounding islands for the day with food and drinks, and some beach time - snorkeling would be cool too.

I seem to be finding that a couple of the ones that usually go to Rose Island may not be running right now? What do you reccommend? I was looking at Barefoot Cruises, Sea island Adventures, Robinson Crusoe...what do you guys think? I'm looking to spend about $50-75 pp. Thanks!

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
293 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good day trip w/ food and beach time?

take the ferry to eleuthra,and spanish wells. google it and check it out.there is also a website for bahamas ferries but i cant remember it.im sure scuba girl knows it

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,474 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good day trip w/ food and beach time?

Right now.. there's a shuffle.. and I'm not sure who is going to continue to offer "native lunch" and who will not.

Most of those who had permits to use Rose Island, can longer use the beaches.. so until they find new locations.. I really can't recommend a particular tour. All those you mention are fine.. but I'm not sure where they go and what they offer.. at this moment.

Marlin refers to the Fast Ferries.. a good choice for a day trip, but a little pricier. www.bahamasferries.com

If you're wallet can handle the expense.. Powerboat Adventure would be my pick. www.powerboatadventures.com

It's a bit pricier than you'd expect.. but well worth it.

Boston
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Good day trip w/ food and beach time?

Hey, thanks for the info. Powerboat looks awesome, but almost $200 a peice is probably out of our budget.

In that case, would you reccomend we wait until we arrive and then speak with some people at our hotel about the trips that are currently available?

On another note, the Sea Island Adventures sounded like the best option to me, and you all have mentioned in other threads that it's one of the better day trips. Unfortunately their site, www.seaislandadventures.com, is down so I cant book anything. Any idea if this has anything to do with the this tour maybe not being offered any more?

Arkansas
Level Contributor
151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Good day trip w/ food and beach time?

Something to consider to help you accept the price of Powerboat. It is the best day trip you will ever do. Also, you will not spend another penny on this day. They feed you all you can eat and you can drink until you can't drink anymore. You have a full day of fun and sun, you get that afternoon and ready to call it a day. Worth it if you can find a way to do it. The best money you will spend!!

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,474 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good day trip w/ food and beach time?

Skyman, Sea Island is currently going to Blackbeards Cay.. and the native lunch has been replace with burgers from the island grill.

Not the same tour.. at all.

Although Blackbeards Cay is a nice destination island.. it's not Rose Island. BC is highly commercial with a bar/ grill, souvenier shops, changing rooms/ first aid and a island photographer to snap your photo as you arrive.

Oh well.. I guess that's progress for ya..

Robinson Crusoe still goes to Rose Island.. as does Flying Cloud on Sundays.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good day trip w/ food and beach time?

Hi Scuba Girl,

You sound like you know a lot about Nassau, I was just wondering if you might be able to help me out with a few questions. My boyfriend and I are considering renting out a condo at the Westwind II Club on Cable Beach, but have only ever stayed in all inclusive resorts before so I just have a few questions since this will be the first time we're fending for ourselves in regards to transportation and food/drinks, so if you are able to help me out with any of these questions it would be much appreciated (or if anyone else knows!)

-I've heard it's expensive there, but would an option for us be to buy liquor from a liquor store and mix drinks ourselves or buy beer from the store? What would the typical price for IL of vodka say, or 12 beers be there?

-Would it be safe taking a taxi from the airport to this place and how much approximately would that be (or does this $1 bus go to the airport?)

-Are there lots of restaurants accessible from this bus or in walking distance and what should we expect to pay for an alcoholic drink at a bar/restaurant... and what would a typical meal for 2 cost?

-How late does the bus run?

-Is there any corruption (such as with Mexico) with police, etc.

-Are people allowed to drink alcohol on Cable Beach?

Thank you!

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,474 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good day trip w/ food and beach time?

You sound like you know a lot about Nassau, I was just wondering Haven't been to Westwind.. but I hear it's pretty good.

Alcohol is less expensive than in the states... and rum products are downright cheap. Around $10 a ltr. Beer, on the otherhand is expensive. $35 for local beer and $50 for bud, coors etc for a case.

About $2p can/bottle when purchased at a liquor store.

Taxis are a safe form of transportation. The $1 bus doesn't go to and from the airport. The rate for a cab from the airport should be about $12 for 2ppl to Westwind.. And another $12 or so to downtown when you need to go. Jitney's run 6am - 6pm. Ferries from Downtown to paradise island are $3 and run 9am - 6pm. After dark, taxis are the only mode of transportation.

Meals have a huge range in price point.. from $10 local fare to $80 dinner entrees.. and everything in between. U can usually find moderate to good food for $20-30 range. Drinks $5-9 for beer, $5.50 - $15 for drinks. You can find cheap.. sabarro, quiznos, Imperial takeaway, pizza delivery, chinese etc.

I suggest you buy yourself a nice bottle of stolis and some mixers and enjoy it on your own.

There's plenty of information and links to restaurant menus on this site.. just do a search.. I have posted many myself.

Cable beach I suggest Johnny Canoes, Capriccios, Travelers Rest, Poop Deck and Provence. But there are plenty other.

Is there corruption.. Yes.. police, politicians you name it. We've got it.. but it shouldn't affect you unless you plan on doing something

illegal.

Yes, you can drink on the beach.. but public drunkeness is against the law.. rarely enforced.. but it is a law.. so if you plan of being a drunken idiot.. stay home.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good day trip w/ food and beach time?

Thanks Scuba Girl, this is the perfect info to help us plan our trip (budget basically!) :)

Grand Island...
Level Contributor
162 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good day trip w/ food and beach time?

How can I contact Robinson Crusoe, website, email or phone?

Does anybody know what company does the Carnival shore excursion "Catamaran & Snorkel"?

Thanks,

Norma :)

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,474 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good day trip w/ food and beach time?

Robinson Crusoe can be booked thru Majestic Holdiay

www.majesticholidays.com

or email: karenATmajesticholidays.com

Tell them I sent you.