We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping the Butler ???

Which Nassau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sarasota FL
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Tipping the Butler ???

Staying at Sandals in one of the villas in Oct. I read on their website that tipping at the resort is not allowed except for the butler. I realize that it would depend on how much we use his service and how good he is ,but I don't have a clue what a good tip would be! any help would be appriciated.

washington, DC
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping the Butler ???

I asked this question before, and while I haven't been to the resort yet, and don't have first-hand experience, the answers I got led me to believe a $50 to $100 tip is appropriate at the end of the stay, for the 7 days we would be there. Keep in mind that there will be multiple butlers, depending upon the time of day you request the services. I did not get any answer as to whether or not they split the tip among all the butlers, or the last one who helps you out the door gets it all...

Good luck on the trip,

Rick

washington, DC
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping the Butler ???

Sorry - I'm just rereading my response... the recommendations were really $50-$150. I missed the 5 in there!

Thanks,

Rick

Sarasota FL
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping the Butler ???

Thanks for the info Rick! Seems a little high, but if they really do a lot for you then I guess its worth it. I've read that some people have them set up chairs on the beach with a cooler!!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping the Butler ???

Yes, they will set your chairs up on the beach anywhere you like with a cooler so you don't have to get up early and reserve your own. They will make dinner reservations for you as well as book any excursions you would like to do and make spa appointments. You will probably have 2 butlers--one morning and one late afternoon/evening and you can tip them at the end of your stay. We tipped each one separately the last time we saw them, and they can be different amounts, depending if one was more helpful than another. Hope this helps.

Delran, New Jersey
Level Contributor
646 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping the Butler ???

Wow, maybe staying at the villas is a completely different experience. But when I stayed there, it didn't even occur to me to tip the butler $5, nevermind $50 to $150. They did nothing for me during my whole stay. Hardly ever even saw them at the butler's desk.

6. Re: Tipping the Butler ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 19:18